AOL Problems?

ened 12:47 09 May 2009

Is anybody else having problems pulling up web pages today.

This is one of the few places I can visit.

I can't get Sky News or Amazon two name two.

ened 12:50 09 May 2009

I just tried using AOL9VR and it told me I was not connected (even though I am).

It must be a problem with them but I can't find their 'Ststus page'.

User-1229748 12:51 09 May 2009

sky news ok here

User-1229748 12:54 09 May 2009

are you using the aol browser cos i can get in to aol thru internet explorer

provider 2 13:05 09 May 2009

ened,

Not what you would call problems but I noticed the print on this page went "light" (about 10.00am) , by which I mean the font seemed to change to a fractionally narrower and taller one. Back to normal now, though.

Also, I`ve had an e-mail AND a letter from AOL asking me to download and install their new Modem Setup Tool:

"At AOL Broadband we want you to have the best possible internet experience.

That's why we've developed the AOL Broadband Modem Setup Tool. By downloading the tool to your PC, you can check your network settings and make sure you get a smoother broadband connection.

It's important to run the tool if you connect to the internet using a modem and have Windows XP or Vista. Simply visit click here. There's a link so you can download the tool - you'll recognise it from the icon above. If you're not sure whether you use a modem, you can also find some information there so you can see which modems will benefit from using the tool.

In most cases, the tool will take about five minutes to complete. You won't be able to use your PC for other applications so it's best to run it at the end of your computer session.

Once you've run the Modem Setup Tool, you can save it to your computer and use it whenever you like, so you can be sure that your connection is always performing well.

We're sure you'll find the Setup Tool a quick and easy way to improve your internet performance.

Regards,

AOL Broadband Member Services"

Very wary of this, though. As far as I know my connection is OK and "if it ain`t broke ..." I`m leaving it well alone for the moment.

provider 2 13:10 09 May 2009

Both AOL browser and IE 7 seem to be OK.

ened 14:12 09 May 2009

provider 2

I had the same email (sometime ago) and ignored it.

I never use discs for internet connections; preferring to set them up manually. That way you avoid all the branding and other crap that comes with them.

I did download the AOL browser but use it only rarely and it wouldn't work earlier.

Like you I am very wary of things like that and agree with your philosophy!

Cesar 10:06 10 May 2009

Go to click here Type in your problem choose how you want the reply.

Desperate-Dan 18:25 10 May 2009

are you using a modem or a router? if your using a modem, tell AOL you want a router they will sent you one free, I had the same problem untill I got a router, its really a modem-router,

provider 2 23:21 10 May 2009

Interesting.

What I`m thinking now, though, is that this e-mail/letter from AOL is sent to customers who were supplied with a BT Voyager modem before AOL and BT fell out, three, four years ago?

The modem set-up tool is required for them but not for routers apparently, so customers who have moved on to a router will be downloading stuff they don`t need unless they go to the AOL site and check it out.

Still, it would be nice if they were doing something for their old (long-suffering) customers for a change, and I`m not too proud to accept a free router, and a free laptop would be nice too if they have any left :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires