AOL: Page cannot be displayed

peter_l1993 12:16 14 Feb 2008

Hello everyone,

I'm having a problem browsing the web. Every now and again I'll get an "IE cannot display the webpage" error. It happens with any site and seems to be completely random. I have ran the Network Diagnostics tool and the area of concern is:DNS failure.
This also happens with Firefox but I get a "Server cannot be found" error instead.
My ISP is AOL and I'm running IE7 under Windows XP SP2. I have a Netgear DG834G v3 router. I have already tried changing the MTU and it's currently set at 1432.
I also recently recieved an email from AOL saying they are upgrading their servers and that my connection shouldn't be affected. Techincal support were NOT helpful.
Anyone else having this problem?
Any suggestions?
Thanks
P.

provider 2 15:48 14 Feb 2008

My set-up is similar to yours, except with Netgear DG 834 PN.

It sounds as if the problem is what you have said it is, DNS Server fault.

Have you tried accessing the sites both through AOL software and directly through IE 7? Probably no difference but if there is, I`m thinking AOL Parental Controls settings, or perhaps firewall.

kdt 17:09 14 Feb 2008

mine DG834G v2 except i changed mtu from 1458 to 1400 in may 06 after advice from netgear helpline.
i still get same problems sometimes. let's wait & see for now if AOL finally sorts out the upgrade or if there is any other fault. need to refresh often to clear the problem. i use aol vr version.

jellyhead 17:11 14 Feb 2008

This site click here was recommended to me by another forum member for some good info.

kdt 08:54 15 Feb 2008

tried just now switched off mains & changed connection ends & sockets around & restarted router/pc seems more stable...touch wood

peter_l1993 18:17 15 Feb 2008

Directly through IE7, I get that message occasionally. Through AOL software it happens as well or it will just hang at Step 3 of sign-in, although I don't even have the AOL bloatware installed. It even happens on my PSP sometimes.

gudgulf 19:07 15 Feb 2008

I have the same problem with AOL...it's been going on for the last few weeks.

The problem is entirely due to AOL switching over to the Carphone Warehouse servers from the old AOL ones.

Hopefully things will settle down when that is complete...the service is truly dreadful at the moment.

Take a look at this forum click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?