AOL not receiving Freeserve E-mails

Agent Smith 16:28 31 Oct 2003

AOL not receiving Freeserve E-mails and that's it basically. I'm on Freeserve dial up, OE6, Win XP. My brother in law and a friend on AOL.
AOL says tell Freeserve, Freeserve says tell AOL.
No error messages, no returned mail. Hotmail gets through OK. On both AOL accounts my e-mail address is in their address books. Any ideas from you peeps would be welcome.

Djohn 17:05 31 Oct 2003

I'm with AOL and contacted them some weeks back regarding their policy of dealing with "Spam". AOL are determined to cut down on the amount of spam passing, not only through their servers but the internet as a whole. I was informed that AOL deal with 3 billion e-mails per day world wide. [3 billion] and approximately 2.1 billion of these are Spam.

If a large amount of traffic suddenly comes from any one particular ISP, then a temporary block is put on that ISP. The Postmaster from the ISP that has been blocked only needs to contact AOL and the temporary block is immediately lifted. But according to AOL, Other ISP's are a little slow at times to do this, and the block stays on longer than necessary.

I was informed that other ISP's know that the mail is being returned from AOL and should contact them. AOL's policy is very strict to-ward this abuse of the internet and will do all in it's power to protect it's members from this abuse.

Unfortunately on occasions, genuine e-mail will be blocked for the reason explained above, and they are addressing this issue as quickly as they can. The senders ISP is aware of this and also in full knowledge of how to lift the blocking.

I have placed part of the e-mail I received from AOL giving this information, just to confirm that it was not a confidential mail, and I was free to discuss in the forum.

Regards. j.

===========================================

Head of corporate media relations.

As regards my response to you - please feel free to pass on wherever you choose - we are very comfortable with our position on this issue and quite happy for it to be in a public forum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?