AOL and networking

Minkey1 00:39 30 Nov 2005

Hi folks

My brother has an AOL BB connection and accesses it via a BT Voyager wireless router. In practice his desktop is connected via ethernet but the laptop wirelessly. The problem he's got is only one machine can access the internet at any one time. I'm going round to look at it but not being familiar with AOL are there any particular issues with networking via this ISP ?

Any pointers before I go would be appreciated. I know they only "support" networking with their Gold & Platinum services but that wouldn't prevent a Silver customer doing their own thing, would it ?

Cheers

Mike

phil46 01:29 30 Nov 2005

No it doesn't but if your on the silver package
you get no support,i did try wireless with AOL if i remember there was WAN problem they gave me a new setting for this i use to use a Netgear router but i gave up after connection problems i now use a ethernet connection.

Minkey1 10:26 30 Nov 2005

Thanks Phil. Whilst our kid can manage with the desktop on ethernet, ideally he wants to go wireless on both machines the family has. However, short term, and this is why he's asked for help, he can only get on the internet with one machine at a time - this is why I was wondering if AOL access is a procedure very specific to them ?

Anyone else any pointers ?

Cheers

Mike

keewaa 10:58 30 Nov 2005

This might help click here

Minkey1 11:05 30 Nov 2005

Cheers keewaa

That looks useful, will tick resolved, and can repost if we're still struggling.
Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone