aol netgear router not compatible with adapter

Em81 19:14 14 Sep 2007

Please help!I recently bought a laptop with built in wireless adapter however after hours on phone to aol they have finally told me that the reason cant go wireless is because my adapter is not compatible with their router.Is there anything I can do or will I simply have to buy a seperate adapter which is compatible?

ambra4 21:14 14 Sep 2007

AOL talking crap never heard that before

The wireless adapter in the laptop connect to the router which allow use of your internet connection once router can access internet and wireless adapter is set up correct to router you should connect to internet

Did you set up the Lan card and your browser to access the router? check your setting

If any firewalls are installed on any of the PCs, uninstall them.
This includes Zone Alarm, Sygate, Kerio, Norton Internet Security, Zero Knowledge Freedom, Cisco VPN Client, F-Secure, McAfee Firewall, Trend Micro, etc.
In many cases, disabling the firewall is not enough; you have to actually uninstall it.
Do not install or re-install the firewall until after you have the network functioning properly

Web Browser Settings

Start your web browser. Select “Tools” then “Internet Options”.
In the “Internet Options” screen, there are three selections:
“Never dial a connection”,
“Dial whenever a network connection is not present”
“Always dial my default connection”.
If you can make a selection, select “Never dial a connection”.
If you cannot make a selection, go to the next step.
Under the “Internet Options” screen, click on “Connections”
Select “LAN Settings”
Make sure there are no check marks next to any of the displayed Options:
“Automatically detect settings”,
“Use automatic configuration script
“Use a proxy server”.
Click “OK”.
Then click “OK” again in the “Internet Options” page.

Network Adapter Setup on the Computer

Also called a LAN card (Local Area Network) or NIC card (Network Interface Connection)
Click “Start”, “Settings” Network Connection
Double-click on the “Network Connection
Left-click on the “Local Area Connection” associated with your network adapter
Select “Properties” from the drop-down menu.
In the “Local Area Connection Properties” window all boxes should be ticked
Tick the box “Show Icon in Notification Area When Connected,
An Icon will appear in the task bar when you have finish the setup
Click “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)” Click the “Properties” button
Select “Obtain an IP address automatically
Select “Obtain DNS server address automatically”
Do Not Change Any Other Setting
Click “OK”.

Your computer network card is now configured for use with the Modem/Router

Other Network Connection Setting

Start- Setting-Network Connection-New Connection Wizard-Next
Chose-Connect to the Internet-Next
Set Up My Connection Manually-Next
Click Connect using a broadband connection that is always on-Next
Finish

Em81 21:49 14 Sep 2007

There is no option 'show icon in notification area when connected'. All boxes are ticked but only options are install, uninstall or configure. All else done up til here.

Ashrich 21:56 14 Sep 2007

Sorry if this is a stupid question , is your internal wireless card actually turned on ? ( There will be either a button or keyboard combination ) Do you get a notification that wireless networks are available ?
What make and model of laptop do you have ?

Ashley

Em81 22:24 14 Sep 2007

Yeah it switched on with switch on laptop. It Advent 7113 Intel Celeron M430 1.73 GHz. Says router cannot detect wireless adapter when trying setup but it is enabled and when click configure it says lan is working properly. Prob something simple but not that clued up on what am doin aas can prob tell!!

ambra4 22:24 14 Sep 2007

What OS XP OR Vista

ambra4 02:33 15 Sep 2007

EM81

Go to this site and do some reading it all about fixing problems with the Advent 7113, manual download, drivers, AOL access problems, all the information

Advent 7113 Manual Download

click here={32b51816-6ff3-4e70-b334-2af1d2419acb}&ID={bc9959e9-0158-4702-9838-a0a6dfac5e4d}

If you are experiencing issues connecting to the internet on AOL with either the Netgear DG834G or DG834GT router then you can download the following automatic set-up file to help resolve the issues.

click here={621524bb-8a8a-42b7-8c9f-f3f77f25a355}&CatID={1049d798-b81c-4bf5-a15f-29e4c7640e79}

AOL Installer for Netgear DG834G Wireless Router

It is a 8mb file and is reported to work with the DG834GT router. No information is so far available that indicates whether it will work on other Netgear routers

click here

ambra4 02:39 15 Sep 2007

Url to long PCA not allowing all of the address to linked

So here is it in the long form just remove the ? HTT?P

EM81

Go to this site and do some reading it all about fixing problems with the Advent 7113, manual download, drivers, AOL access problems, all the

Advent 7113 Manual Download

Htt?p://support.thetechguys.com/layout.aspx?CatID={32b51816-6ff3-4e70-b334-2af1d2419acb}&ID={bc9959e9-0158-4702-9838-a0a6dfac5e4d}

If you are experiencing issues connecting to the internet on AOL with either the Netgear DG834G or DG834GT router then you can download the following automatic set-up file to help resolve the issues.

Htt?p://support.thetechguys.com/layout.aspx?ID={621524bb-8a8a-42b7-8c9f-f3f77f25a355}&CatID={1049d798-b81c-4bf5-a15f-29e4c7640e79}

AOL Installer for Netgear DG834G Wireless Router

It is a 8mb file and is reported to work with the DG834GT router. No information is so far available that indicates whether it will work on other Netgear routers

Htt?p://help.aol.co.uk/aol-installer-for-netgear-dg834g-wireless/article/20060802093009990029

ambra4 02:48 15 Sep 2007

Your wireless network card is a Ralink wireless network card you can also download the drivers from this site if you need to, also included sites on how to set up Vista network

Hope all this help you; I do not use vista so I am unable to advise on the correct way

click here

Setting up a home network using Vista

click here

Connecting to Wireless Networks with Windows Vista

click here

Em81 19:43 15 Sep 2007

Thanks 4 u help but am none the wiser. Alredy had downloaded the user manual nothing much use there. Got the aol easy installer for the router but this is what not detecting the adapter. I have the driver disk but has all been installed.

ambra4 19:50 15 Sep 2007

what is the make and model # of router

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone