AOL and Mailwasher Pro

GrahamP 16:25 30 Nov 2003

Friend's machine - Windows XP, AOL 7.0 dialup

Just downloaded Mailwasher Pro and got as far as first start of Mailwasher. It brings up the Starting AOL panel but gets no further.

This may be connected with the fact that to start AOL I have to use the shortcut on the start button. Using either the quick launch button or the desktop icon has the same result as trying to use Mailwasher ie AOL hangs.

Prior to this I had the AOL/OSCAR authorization failed problem due to confusing passwords.

Found prior links recommending deletion of global.org but in this case it's only the AOL task that hangs and closing task waol.exe gets me back to stage 1.

Would appreciate any help in the next halfhour as that's when my lift goes. Thanks.

Diodorus Siculus 16:34 30 Nov 2003

Does Mailwasher check the AOL mail; if so, then you can manually launch MW afterwards.

An aside, if you have TweakUI, use it to repair the shortcuts to AOL - that may help the situation.

GrahamP 16:53 30 Nov 2003

Not quite sure what you mean.

The instructions for installing Mailwasher with AOL say make sure you have exited all AOL programs before the first execution of Mailwasher. This results in the hang. I'll try doing it with AOL running.

It does look like the shortcuts are corrupt but I don't have TweakUI here. There is a delete option on the desktop icon (can't drag it to the recylce bin) so I'll try that. They are not regular shortcuts with a properties on the right click so I can't just point them to aol.exe. There is only one aol.exe on the system so the desktop invocation must be invoking it differently to the start shortcut.

Thanks I've got a couple of things to try.

Djohn 16:53 30 Nov 2003

AOL desktop, but don't log on. Go to toolbar/preferences/and select, font/text/graphics. You will see a small window with the number 40 inside, reduce this to 5 then save click back to aol desktop then close aol.

Reboot PC back to aol desktop, [Don't log on] Toolbar/preferences/and select, font/text/graphics. Reset to 40, save and close down the aol desktop but don't turn off PC.

Reopen aol desktop and log on to aol, it should now dial in and log on rebuilding the graphics at the same time.

Once logged on, go to "Keyword" Best number and follow instructions for selecting new dial-in numbers. This should solve both the slow connection/dis-connection and speed of loading as well.

If your friend up-grades to version 8 of aol it has it's own built in anti-virus checker and spam control which will work far better than any third party ones when using aol. j.

GrahamP 16:59 30 Nov 2003

Tried deleting the desktop icon - same result, hang.

Also tried leaving AOL running and then starting Mailwasher. Got the AOL/OSCAR authentication failed message again.

May not have time to try or reply to anything else for a few hours.

GrahamP 17:06 30 Nov 2003

I'm unfamiliar with AOL and I don't seem to get the option of the desktop without logging on. As soon as I click on the icon in start I get the sign on panel.

I've found the graphics size while logged on. If I reduce that while logged on, log off, log on again. Will this have the same effect?

Djohn 17:13 30 Nov 2003

Yes, you can do it this way, log off after changing both times though, then log back on for the third time. j.

GrahamP 18:08 01 Dec 2003

I no longer have access to this machine but before I left I tried double-clicking the aol.exe in the AOL 7.0 library with the same effect ie a hang.

It looks like the Start button shortcut invokes it in a different way. How would I find how it does this? Since this isn't a regular shortcut, I can't right click it and look at properties.

Our conclusion was that the AOL installation is corrupted and we are either going to replace with AOL 8.0 or go for one of the 3x broadband offerings at roughly the same price.

I will close this but check for any response on the start button shortcuts. Thanks Djohn and Diodorus.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?