AOL INTERNET CONNECTION

bagmaker 19:10 15 Jun 2005

My AOL 8 will not connect to the internet via cable connection to Netgear router 834G, Using Windows XP SP2, I can connect to the internet via IE on my BT BB and my laptop using the same router using AOL 9 connects perfectly wirelessly.
AOL have only suggested reinstalling Windows XP. Any ideas?

Taff36 22:45 15 Jun 2005

Describe a little bit more please - AOL won`t help you anyway! - how many computers through which type of connections? Cable / Wireless & different computers.

Pure (educated) guess is on the AOL 8 connection make sure the User Name is [your name]@ AOL.COM - type in the full e-mail address rather than just your AOL user Name. AOL routers/Modems add "@AOL.com" automatically. Post back with full details about the connections.

pharte 23:36 15 Jun 2005

I have found that i have had to reconfigure my router recently......go to the router admin page and check that the mtu in your wan settings is set at 1400.....it's an odd aol problem but easily sorted if you are told about it

woodchip 23:43 15 Jun 2005

In setup page you will have to put your user name and password in router

ton 00:59 16 Jun 2005

It is best to get another screen name and password just for the router.

In the router settings - [email protected] & the password for that screen name.

As mentioned above, the MTU should be set to 1400.

The router should connect to AOL when powered up and you can then either use IE or log into AOL using any of your other screen names (but preferebly not the one the router uses).

There is a very good guide on the AOL site on how to configure the Netgear 834G.- Keyword was either 'network' or 'router'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?