AOL increases charges

provider 2 12:36 01 Jul 2009

Is it just us rural yokels that they are victimising or have you all had the latest threat?

"At AOL Broadband we’re always looking to offer you the best possible service and value. We were one of the first providers to introduce a flat rate broadband connection, and we now have over a million broadband customers enjoying faster speeds thanks to our automatic upgrades.

However, due to the increased cost in maintaining a broadband service in your area, there will be a change to your monthly broadband subscription. From your next bill after the 21st July, your broadband package will cost £17.99 a month. This price change will happen automatically with no interruption to your service.

Any questions?
If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to call our customer service team on 0800 954 0332. They’d be happy to help out any time between 8am and midnight, 7 days a week."

Quite a hefty increase from the eleven quid subscription I managed to negotiate in return for putting up with a less than first-class service and as for "enjoying faster speeds" ... gimme a break :0(

Any comments?

Terry Brown 12:55 01 Jul 2009

First-- What is the speed you are getting now ?, and how does it compare with other providers.

Next-- As it seems like you are not satified with the service --MOVE.

It is as simple as that.
Terry

provider 2 14:04 01 Jul 2009

Simple?

Well perhaps, if you live in or close to an urban area, but in the country miles from the nearest (antiquated) exchange and with a very limited choice of service providers that operate there, things are not quite so rosy.

Cost is a significant factor as well. It`s no good saying go wireless. I can`t afford it and satellite is out of the question. I have Sky+ but again, being outside their network area there is an additional charge for special connection arrangements.

Tiscali was available here but it was subject to the same evening and weekend slowdowns as AOL and since both are now owned by Carphone Warehouse (I think) that isn`t much of an alternative.

I could always move city, I suppose, but I don`t fancy that much either.

Snookered ...?

Stuartli 14:27 01 Jul 2009

Try TalkTalk - superior to AOL even though it's under the same umbrella.

Stuartli 14:28 01 Jul 2009

Check what's on offer ISP wise at your local exchange via:

click here

if you haven't done so already.

Could be that BT might come up with the best speeds.

RobCharles1981 14:56 01 Jul 2009

provider 2

I fully agree with Terry Brown if your not satisfied with the AOL Service then move that is a huge jump in a fee to be paying for service.

I used to be an AOL Subscriber and I got fed up with up with Script Monkeys in India who where a pain the butt to deal with if you had something going wrong with the Broadband Service.

As Stuartli said go to Samknows:click here

Post Back The Full Results on what is available at your exchange.

Also what Modem or Router Do you have? I would like to see your line stats if possible.

If there are no LLU Providers in your exchange then I can definitely recommend an Enta Reseller

Study the Dslzoneuk Ratings click here usually the Top 10 are the best.

I'm with ADSL24 and I pay £18.90 for 30/300 of usage allowance a month and its 8meg Max with UK Based Support and No Traffic Shaping or Port Blocking

And I get around 6-7meg as I'm around 800 Meters from the exchange.

I find ADSL24 very good its very reliable.

I hope this information benefits you.

Stuartli 15:47 01 Jul 2009

>>I get around 6-7meg as I'm around 800 Meters from the exchange.>>

I get 6.5Mb to 7.3Mb on average with TalkTalk and my £20.49 AnyTime package includes broadband, free AnyTime UK Calls, free AnyTime calls to 36 different countries and line rental...:-)

rdave13 17:58 01 Jul 2009

Not had the letter yet but if I do then I think ADSL24, as RobTheOrganGuru's suggestion, for me. They only have a one month contract. If I don't like them then Stuartli's TalkTalk. I live just over a mile from the exchange, and like you, no unbundled broadband available. ADSL24 suggested they could supply 3.5 meg whereas AOL maintains about 2.2 megs. I know they are more expensive than AOL and are reasonably capped but if I get better service I'd be willing to pay the extra.

RobCharles1981 18:09 01 Jul 2009

Provider 2

Can you post your line stats up please if possible?

Stuartli 20:37 01 Jul 2009

Unfortunately my AnyTime International package is no longer available (too good for the price?) and TalkTalk now offers packages in a mode form - pick what you want and pay price accordingly.

Fortunately, although my original 18 month contract from April 2006 had run out some time earlier, TT rang me and asked if I wished to renew it, along with an offer of half-price for two months.

Naturally I agreed and am glad I did so now.

provider 2 12:17 02 Jul 2009

for your comments, and my apologies for the delay in responding. I`ve been doing my homework using the links you gave me.

Using SamKnows I`ve conformed that not much has changed round here, by which I mean an unbroken list of red crosses and "not available" for ADSL2, wireless, cable and LLU providers.

However, there are a few more ISPs to chose from but all more expensive than AOL for the basic ADSL package, the cheapest of these being PlusNet at £11.99 and Rob`s ADSL24 at £13.99

None of the tests suggest I can get more than 2.5 meg so it`s no good even considering the more expensive stuff.

I had a chat with AOL`s customer service rep but he wouldn`t budge from £15.99 (two pounds less than the treatened increase), despite my whinging about evening and weekend slowdowns, script reading help agents and all the usual stuff known only too well to AOL users.

So, it looks like either PlusNet or ADSL24, with the latter leading by a short head if it`s as reliable as I`m led to believe ... I don`t know much about PlusNet though perhaps somebody else does ... ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017