Is Aol Hostmanager needed?

SB23 18:11 18 Nov 2007

I've been trying a few freebie programs out today, and I've come across a nice little one called Glary Utilities, click here, it works a little like Advanced Windows Care, and it seems very good.
The problem is that its flashed up, in its startup section that Aol Hostmanager is starting, and that its not required!
I've done searches, but not found a 100% answer.

I'm on Broadband, but does anyone know for sure, before I disable it, whether I can or not?

Thanks

Steve

Snec 18:31 18 Nov 2007

Do you connect via router or modem?

If by router then you do not need it. If by modem, I'm not sure but if you disable it you won't do any harm. If there is a problem (I think they are called 'issues' these days) just enable it again.

SB23 18:38 18 Nov 2007

I'm connecting to Broadband via a BT Voyager 105 modem.

FatboySlim71 23:06 18 Nov 2007

You may well need the Aol Hostmanager if you are using the BT Voyager 105, but like Snec has said, just disable it and see if you have any problems, if you do then just re enable it. After a quick search on the net, I came across the below information on the AOL Hostmanger.

click here

click here

SB23 23:35 18 Nov 2007

Thanks both, I will see what happens when I disable it, as long as I can't do any long term damage, I'm happy.

Will tick

Steve

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?