AOL Free Upgrades??? Anyone had them yet??

mattyc_92 18:08 05 Jun 2005

Hi, I have been with AOL for just over 13 months.... Since January they have been promising to "upgrade" all current users to double (in my case) the speed of the current connection... This means that instead of my usual 512kb BB connection, I will be getting 1meg BB connection for no extra charge (as the "Gold" connection is the service I have signed up for)

However, I was promised that I will be getting the update by 28 of May at the LATEST, but everything still seems the same speed.... When I downloaded a song from the MSN Music site, it still took just over 1 and a 1/2 minutes to download....

I have tried many of the "connection speed tests" and all have said I have a 512 connection... I realise that these tests aren't 100% correct, but at least one should get a different result...

So after all my moaning, has anyone here had the free upgrade yet???

interzone55 18:12 05 Jun 2005

Have you checked whether your exchange and / or line is able to carry a faster connection?

When my ISP (Wanadoo) upgraded all users I had to wait an extra month for my exchange to be upgraded.

mattyc_92 18:17 05 Jun 2005

Thanks for the quick response alan14....

They said (from the e-mail they sent me in January sometime) that EVERYTHING will be done at "their" end and all I had to do was relax and wait for the upgrade....

So I don't reallt know the answer to that question

I did have to install an update for my Modem, but it still says in the "screentip" if I "hover" my cursor over it in the System Tray that the UpStream is 288kbps and the DownStream is 576kbps

CurlyWhirly 18:26 05 Jun 2005

I haven't had any speed increase and that is because my line is already running at the maximum speed (1 mb) but after telephoning them last week they have had the decency to put me on their Gold package saving me £5 a month.
They *didnt* have to do that as I am still in my 12 month contract with 4 months to go yet, so that was nice of them!

Snec 18:28 05 Jun 2005

Yes, about 6 weeks ago.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 18:30 05 Jun 2005

My Platinum has now been upgraded to the 2mb as they promised, but they have not confirmed this by e-mail.

mattyc_92 18:31 05 Jun 2005

You do realise CurlyWhirly, that AOL has RESET your 12 month contract as well don't you???

Snec

Did you have to do anything??? Like install a modem driver update??? or ask them to update the line's connection rate??? And did you get an e-mail or pop-up to tell you it was updated???

So many questions.... So little time... lol

CurlyWhirly 18:42 05 Jun 2005

You do realise CurlyWhirly, that AOL has RESET your 12 month contract as well don't you???

No I didn't know that!
There was NO mention of it when they downgraded my package!
All I get was an e-mail saying that my request was accepted and I had been downgraded to Gold.
That's sneaky of them IF true.

CurlyWhirly 18:47 05 Jun 2005

Sorry to hijack your thread mattyc_92 but it IS indeed true that my contract has been reset. :0(

mattyc_92 18:47 05 Jun 2005

I know.... It has happened to loads of people I know and a few members on (i think) this forum....

ashdav 18:50 05 Jun 2005

Ring AOL and complain that you either want your speed upgrade or your monthly payment reduced to match your current service. At the moment you are paying over the odds for your service.Ask to speak to a supervisor if you don't get any joy. Their staff are trained not to hang up on you (unless you become abusive) so you should be able to get something.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?