AOL email system

Bald Eagle 12:22 18 Feb 2004

Trying to help a friend 400 miles away in France. I have no knowledge of AOL and she wants to permanently remove emails. Do they go to a "Deleted folder" as in Oulook Express? If so how do you access this and remove them?
Thanks in anticipation,

Ray

stlucia 12:30 18 Feb 2004

If AOL email is read on line, without downloading it to your own PC, it automatically goes into a "Read mail" folder and then gets ditched by AOL after a certain number of days. You have the option to check it "Keep as unread", in which case it stays in the "New mail" folder -- but even there I think there's a time limit.

If you download your email onto your PC before reading it, it doesn't get deleted until you physically delete it. But I've never noticed a "deleted" folder -- I believe you only get one chance.

Gr@h@m 12:59 18 Feb 2004

Emails are stored in two places, Personal Filing Cabinet and Recently Deleted Emails. If she delete from PFC, they're gone. If from RD, the option is to Permanently Delete. I don't know of a way to delete all, has to be one at a time.

In 'Email Preferences she can set the time to keep unsaved mail.

colberly 13:27 18 Feb 2004

If you hold down the shift key and highlight they can all be deleted at the same time.

Cesar 11:46 20 Feb 2004

If you hold down the Alt Key you can select which e-mails to delete and delete them in a batch.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?