aol dsl wirless problems

xxbubbachunkxx 01:23 23 Sep 2007

pleaseeeeeeeeee can some one help me......

i have been on aol for 4 months now, they sent me a dsl modem which i connect thru cable. last month i went out and brought a wirless laptop, and also a netgear DSL router thinking i would be able to have laptop wireless. but no!!!!

heres what i did...
plugged in dsl modem, which i then connected to dsl router. which i then connected to pc via ethernet. all seemed to be well till i tried to sign on aol thru computer. it didnt get past step one on sign on screen. i checked laptop, and lap top was able to find my network but thats as far as i could get.

i have been told several things, one is that aol wont let u share a web connection and that i would have to upgrade from silver aol to gold aol package. is this true? aol wont tell me GRRR

is anyone at all can shine some light on this please get in touch

many many thanksssss

simon

Snec 02:38 23 Sep 2007

No, it is not true that you cannot have several computers connected if you are on silver. You can have as many as you want!

I have a router with inbuilt modem, I have no experience of a seperate modem/router setup so can't help with that.

ambra4 03:08 23 Sep 2007

xxbubbachunkxx

Go to this Posting and take a read

click here

rdave13 11:39 23 Sep 2007

Is the Netgear a router or modem/router?

xxbubbachunkxx 13:27 23 Sep 2007

the router is just a router, as far as i know it dosent have a modem in it.

the model is 54mbps wgr614 v6...

i tried it again today, and get the same problem. all round. freezes when i go to sign on to aol but the network seems to be fine, its showing 100mbps and says conected.

i have even tried just going on to internet explorer , but it wont let me....

soon as i put my normal modem back in on its own it all works fine

rdave13 13:46 23 Sep 2007

One important thing before setting up the router; you must create a new screen name with master and 18+ rating. This is then assigned only to the router so it connects to AOL as "always on" connection. click here

xxbubbachunkxx 13:58 23 Sep 2007

yes i have tried that. cant get my pc to add my modem either, when i cannect it all up it wont recognise my dsl modem, even though the local area connection is fine

xxbubbachunkxx 14:01 23 Sep 2007

is there anyother easy way i can share my internet connection??

pc is xp, laptop is on vista.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone