aol conflict or virus ?

radi8or 14:15 20 Sep 2003

Hi,all
my son-in-law has replaced aol with bt but shortly after logging onto the net his computer
shuts down and then fires up again, repeating at varying intervals.
I seem to remember reading somewhere that any aol bits left behind can cause problems,he has deleted the program and looked in control panel,could there be something left in registry

or

Is it a virus

thanks in advance

bob

Djohn 14:22 20 Sep 2003

AOL will un-install pretty much everything from Add/remove programs, and to all intent will give you as clean a machine as the removal of any other ISP. Yes there will still be some lines in the registry, but none that will affect the running of your PC.

It may be a virus, need more information. Do you see a message on-screen prior to shutdown, if so what does it say? J.

radi8or 14:33 20 Sep 2003

Hi,Djohn
afraid only spoke to him on phone he did say that an error message came up and then counted down to shut off, if you need any more info can contact him and post back.

regards

bob

Djohn 14:38 20 Sep 2003

Sounds very much like the "Blaster" virus. I will look for the answer,unless someone can provide same before I find it. Regards. j.

Djohn 14:44 20 Sep 2003

click here Full information and removal of the virus, also link to download the Microsoft patch to stop it from happening again. j.

JIM 14:56 20 Sep 2003

You dont say what OS your running and i have not known the symptoms you have, relate to AOL being uninstalled .Whatever OS, AOL will leave a lot behind including Viewpoint media player,which can be uninstalled via add.remove programs.

If you go into the registry of any OS then edit tab and type just AOL in the find box you will be able to delete nearly all reference to Aol.As long as it is only AOL or what other items i mention you should be safe to get rid off.Be prepared for a long session with deletions in registry for AOL and repeat the find next for a few time even if the registry says nothing to find.

Do the same for America online and Viewpoint media player if you want. Remember also that there is "AOL dial up please do not remove" network connection to remove, plus folders in C programs files. Remember that in windows systems folder there will be a backup to AOL SOFTWARE,all 49 plus mb,If running win98. Just delete that backup from the windows folder.

I would be inclined to think that the new BT software or your network settings are to blame for your problems but would get rid of AOL to be sure.

Also do a repair to internet explorer first before anthing else if using win98?

JIM 14:58 20 Sep 2003

took me so long to type.(SOD it):)

Djohn 15:10 20 Sep 2003

Yep! I agree fully with what you say regarding the "Extras" of AOL that need removing for a complete un-install of all references to the program. But then many programs will alter the registry as you know, and also will need to be cleaned this way for full removal.

I was just pointing radi8or in the direction of a general removal that would allow another ISP to be used with out causing any conflicts. From his post at 14:33 it does sound like it may be a virus because of the countdown message he is seeing. Regards. j.

radi8or 15:16 20 Sep 2003

Hi jim,
have just spoken to son-in-law and talked him through deleting aol after search, quite a lot as you say also got rid of a load of freeserve stuff as well (seems he didn't like that either)

os is xp home

I'm getting him to try to connect to net long enough to activate Djohn's link,thanks for advice
sounds like a visit is on the cards

regards

bob

JIM 15:17 20 Sep 2003

Your quite right,It was the post at 14:33 that i was playfully refering to,as i just cottoned on.:)

Djohn 15:19 20 Sep 2003

You can download "Stinger" and the patch from M/S onto your PC, copy to CD and take over and clean/patch his PC that way. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache