AOL causing a CPU freeze

JAYCEEDC 22:54 04 Jun 2003

I have a friend who is running a 1.3 Ghz PIII and with 128Mb Ram who is running Windows XP and AOL 7.0.
It has started crashing..... as soon as she activates AOL the CPU usage goes straight to
98% or 99% and the whole system freezes. It only gets to the "Starting AOL" screen before freezing. Tried to uninstall AOL using its own Uninstall so that I could reinstall but it freezes when that's tried as well.
someone suggested a memory seepage but I don't know what they mean.
She has a 40Gb hard drive which has about 34Gb free
Any ideas??????

Djohn 23:23 04 Jun 2003

Try the method below, it may help. j.

Delete the global.org file
1. Close down AOL.
2. Go to Start, Find, Files or Folders. (Windows 2000 and Windows XP users, go to Start, Search).
3. Type in global.org in the Named box, and in the Look In box make sure you select the appropriate Hard Drive (usually C:\), then click Find Now.
4. Once you find the files, highlight them by going to Edit - Select All and then File - Delete.
5. Reopen AOL and let it search for the broadband connection again.
6. Check your connection speed again and if it is still slow, try the following steps:

Djohn 23:27 04 Jun 2003

Although the info. above is aimed primely at B/Band use, it sometimes helps with 56k modem problems as well.

The bit left out at the end of the above post only refers to removing, re-installing again. j.

BillEmm 00:24 05 Jun 2003

Then lots of AOL users have the problem.

What happens is: AOL fails to shut down properly when something unusual happens during this process. It freezes and thus does not restore the Windows Registry to a workable condition and this in turn causes Windows to lock.

There are a multitude of workarounds on the AOL Broadband Technical Tips site if your friend would care to venture into its depths. Its not a happy hunting ground but there are some good bits of advice there.

graham√ 09:40 05 Jun 2003

Ring the (free) helpline if still having problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?