AOL cable and my router

Graphcsguru 19:28 25 Jun 2006

I know this has been discussed over and over, but i just need some clarification. I found this while searching:

"It is best to get another screen name and password just for the router.

In the router settings - screenname@aol.com & the password for that screen name.

As mentioned above, the MTU should be set to 1400.

The router should connect to AOL when powered up and you can then either use IE or log into AOL using any of your other screen names (but preferebly not the one the router uses).

There is a very good guide on the AOL site on how to configure the Netgear 834G.- Keyword was either 'network' or 'router'."

I just want to know do I put my router SSID as "screenname@aol.com" or how exactly should I configure it.

ade.h 20:33 25 Jun 2006

Your Service Set Identifier can be anything that you want it to be.

Graphcsguru 03:02 26 Jun 2006

I know it can be set to anything, but I'm still confused as to what I'm actually supposed to have it as so that AOL will recognize it. (forgive me if I sound ungrateful, I'm just a little fustrated because of this whole thing with AOL)

bebbo 03:29 26 Jun 2006

For now just leave ssid as default which was Netgear.( irrelevant for AOL as its nothing to do with accessing AOL )Put username in the required box and password in the required box.Only just read your post so dont know whats gone on b4.I have same set up as you so should be able to help you thru it.Prob best thru msn?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?