Aol Broadband Problems

popgeoff 13:33 18 Jan 2006

I have Aol Platinum which has been fine for a year. Last week I got an email from Aol saying they would be upgrading the system on Jas 12 and I might notbe able to connect. On that day Aol went down and I couldn't get back on at all till late the next day. Their phone helplines were utterly useless. Now I am back on but speed seems low (Tx288kbps RX576 kbps).
Previously I think I was getting 2mbps. Also now my phone doesn't work but internet connection does! BT syas proeblem with exchabge but I haven't had the phone for 2 days now. Do you think this maybe all to do with the s0-called Aol upgrade of system? Also any recommendations for a good ISP ifI close Aol account?

wolfie3000 13:48 18 Jan 2006

thats worrying.

click here

rods 14:37 18 Jan 2006

I am on AOL platinum, the speed is 2meg popeoff, i cant rearly comment on your bt line but i had massive problems at the same time, which as soon as i logged on to AOL they requested me to download an urgent update or patch and if not i would not be able to connect.

I did and since then my aol has been a nightmare, doesnt connect or when it does, it is sometimes rearly slow.

The problems seemed to have sorted itself out now though (touch wood).

Did you download the update? it updates your broadband connection and drivers for your broadband modem, bt voyager/speed touch etc..which is apparently essential you do.

You may have trouble ending your contract as it is a year you must stay online with them and if you have just upgraded, im afraid that year will restart as of that day you upgraded.

popgeoff 15:14 18 Jan 2006

Thanks Rods
Aol never suggested any download of any kind. In fact I first tried the Live Help keyword which wasn't of any help at all. Eventually phoned the help line on several occasions and spoke to various people in Bangalore I guess. Even worse. Twice the person said "I am referring you to a higher level" Then I just waited and spent money. Never got anywhere. Somebody did suggest reloading modem driver which I did and eventually was able to log on. But as I said speeds seem low.
Now it saysTx 160 RX576.!!! Not what I am paying for! At 70 years old It is getting me down especially as I seem completely unable to speak to anyone atAol in this country. Thank heavens for this forum. At least I don't feel so alone and helpless .

rods 15:25 18 Jan 2006

Tell me about it, there a nightmare.

When i rang i was speaking to people India and all sorts who i couldnt understand...and who never understood me, in the end i solved 'my' problem out myself.

I think AOL service is a discrace.

All i can suggest is uninstall AOL and the Broadband drivers and reinstall the whole lot.

Good Luck

popgeoff 15:39 18 Jan 2006

OK Rods. Thanks for the advice.

denali 16:16 18 Jan 2006

popgeoff

I had this problem and was advised by a BT engineer.

Add/remove: Aol connectivity. You get an option to repair. Do so. Remove the adapter in Aol information. restart and they will all re-install. This worked for me 7 months ago and since then I have had no problems.

popgeoff 16:25 18 Jan 2006

Thanks Denali I will give that a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?