AOL broadband installation

L plate marky 12:03 14 Feb 2004

I am currently on AOL dial up and I am about to convert to AOL broadband (modem arrived). Anybody any tips to ensure smooth transition? Anything needing uninstalled, Windows XP tips, built-in dial up modem advice, firewalls? (I have ZoneAlarm but AOL give you Norton)

Any advice on do's and don'ts would be appreciated

[email protected]@m 12:08 14 Feb 2004

If you follow the instructions you should have no trouble.

holly polly 12:22 14 Feb 2004

gday seems strange i am on aol b/b and i wasnt aware of them giving you norton ,mcaffee personal firewall which is a free download yes ,would you kindly please ellaborate-regards -hol pol ...
ps been using aol b/b for the best part of a year i find it ok ,but be prepared for some postees giving it a slating ,you get free phone help online help anti spam pop up stopper radio ,not aware of any other isp providing all these facilities -go for it -hol pol....

sam 12:27 14 Feb 2004

Hi marky
no trouble setting broadband up
the only thing is if you have trouble with the filters try different combinations.
i had 3 filters in my box. only use one
they say you have to have a filter on every phone
but mine won`t work if i use more than one
i have a 30ft extension plugged into my telephone
socket in the hall,which goes into my bedroom
a filter is plugged into that. The BB modem and a telephone and a backup 56k modem are plugged into the filter. everything works perfectly no hassle.
I also have a phone in the living room no filter on that either.
sam

L plate marky 15:24 14 Feb 2004

Sorry I mrant McAfee not Norton.

Sam I have a phone in the hall. The modem to a separate phone socket in the hall and Sky tv to a phone socket in the bedroom. 3 filters (one for each socket) or not?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?