AOL BroadBand

johnbhoy 14:56 22 Jul 2003

Hi guys,

It has been a while sincei last posted a thread, mainly due to me not interfering with my PC, that is until now.

I upgraded my Internet connection to AOL Broadband (Free modem, free connection etc), got modem on Saturday morning, no Email from AOL telling me I was ready to go etc, anyway, installed modem, no problem. Connected to AOL , no problem. Spent 10 minutes online then dropped my connection. Tried to close AOL, could not, system hung, hit reset button. Re-boot system, open AOL, connect and surf away and download quite happily for around 2 hours, then again, lost connection, hung PC, reset button, reboot.

This has been going on since Saturday, although last night, I was able to stay connected for 5 hours. I have read the AOL forums, and other users have the same problem, they are all blaming the modem which is a BT Voyager 100 ADSL Modem.

Are any of you on AOL broadband and have this problem.

Cheers

JohnBhoy

Mango Grummit 15:29 22 Jul 2003

Yup, On one of my (older) machines I need to run modem through a powered USB hub to achieve a reliable connection. The later, more powerful, rigs have no problems at all. It sounds as if a powered hub may help you too.

johnbhoy 15:54 22 Jul 2003

Mango - You reckon then that my problem is due to a lack of power to my modem from my PSU. I have no other USB devices installed.

Cheers

JohnBhoy

Mango Grummit 17:20 22 Jul 2003

johnbhoy, can't promise that hub will be the answer as different machines will always perform differently to at least some degree.

The machine I'm talking about certainly needs the hub even if the modem is the only USB kit connected.

See BillEmm's reasoning at the end of this click here

BillEmm 17:40 22 Jul 2003

Not only does a self-powered hub help in power situations, it is an essential bit of kit to protect your on-board USB controllers from the high current demands of the ADSL USB modem.

Something else you might like to try:

click here

After going through this process you ought to find some improvement in performance and a bit more connection stability.

If not, then you know where to come!

Bill

johnbhoy 17:51 22 Jul 2003

Thanks for the info guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone