AOL broadband

welshdad 13:51 17 Jan 2008

I have purchased a new PC with vista, and have a voyager 2091 router. I am unable to connect to the internet (I have an account from a previous PC) when I get to the "testing internet connection" page I get the message "Error 815 invalid value for the service name". Can anyone help, AOL were pretty useless blaming the router but I have had this checked out and it appears to be OK

RobCharles1981 14:31 17 Jan 2008

AOL Blame nothing but themselves unfortunately how long have you been with AOL?

Do u use the AOL Software at all?

Can you try connect without the software??

welshdad 16:52 17 Jan 2008

I have been with AOL for nearly 2 years with no problem. My PC packed in just recently so the new one is a replacement, I cannot connect at all to the internet at the moment even though I already have an account with AOL.

RobCharles1981 16:55 17 Jan 2008

You obviously installed the AOL Software haven't you? well if you have a router theres no need to have the software installed for AOL you can connect via your router

It very much sounds like the AOL Software is the problem or your Firewall might be blocking you what firewall do you have?? If so you can try disabling it and then retry.

Good Luck.

:-)

Diemmess 17:15 17 Jan 2008

Can you open Internet Explorer?

If you can't, the the router is not yet properly connected or configured.

If you can, then (with Aol already installed)follow Rob_25_Wales' advice. Open IE and type in either aol.com or aol.co.uk.

If you can reach an aol screen then you should be able to "set your browser" from there.

welshdad 14:08 24 Jan 2008

Thanks for the help. The situation was finaly resolved when AOL gave me account details so that I could reconnect my new PC to the old account. Why they couldn't have given me this info in the first place I don't know

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone