AOL broadband

filthyphil 16:19 20 Sep 2006

my brother inlaw has just got AOL wireless bb and it says he has to use an ethernet connection to go online ?? i always thought wireless meant the PC didnt have to be wired to the wireless modem?? also what PCI card would best suit this connection , needs to be 50M range??

yaziii121 16:27 20 Sep 2006

how do i get my isp configuration information please any one tell me for tesco broadband

ade.h 16:44 20 Sep 2006

Obviously, he will need an Ethernet LAN equipped PC to configure the router, but after that, he's free to use wifi.

Not that wifi will work over 50m, because it won't. So if that distance is not going to change, he will have to take steps; either stay with cabled up, move either client or router, or use a range extender.

filthyphil 19:16 20 Sep 2006

ok but will any card do as i have found a D-LINK card in novatech that says its wireless??? i really am not sure

ade.h 19:22 20 Sep 2006

It is essential to ensure that the wifi adapter supports WPA or WPA2, not just WEP. There is a Buffalo for c.£25 from eBuyer that fits the bill, or a few own-brand cards from Novatech (but I do not know what chipset they use).

ade.h 19:24 20 Sep 2006

And forgot to add before posting: double-check the specs against the manufacturer's website, because I sometimes spot inaccuracies in retail store specs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone