aol Broadband

amyjen7 19:04 03 Sep 2006

Hi my daugter is to have AOL Broadband and she is waiting for AOL to deliver her router. She only as one PC so living next door has suggested I share as I suppose our PC's are only 35' apart. This makes sense,I think!! Can you recommend a receiver and will it present a problem with my Norton SystemWorks programme? Further will Serif Easy Wireless help?

Thank you

Harpur 19:31 03 Sep 2006

it could be more to do with the strength of the signal from the AOL router. with every obstacle placed in the way of the signal, the signal weakens thus making a connection weaker. add to this the distance and it maybe difficult. the router supplied is a "g" but the newer mimo or pre-n as it is also known gives a stronger and allows the signal to travel further. as this is a signal any body can access your network using your bandwidth free so an encryption is to be recommended, so if the signal is already weak this may break it.

there are walk arounds for this such as buying a "bridge". this will retransmit the signal.

for the setup as it is you will need an adaptor either usb or pci to receive the signal

woodchip 19:52 03 Sep 2006

What you are asking not legal and breaks the AOL terms

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?