AOL again!

flyingbrit 17:38 14 Jul 2007

My brother, who has just changed from AOL to Talk-Talk, has just phoned me to say "when ever he tries to get his new e-mail address, it comes up with his old AOL address and he's trying to get rid of it." Is there a spacific way to shift the software that's causing this (what software is it?) or is it just a matter of deleating all the AOL files ect?
Sorry if that seems a bit vague, but that's as much as I know until I go and see him tomorrow, I'm just trying to go with as much info as I can get.
Regards....John

driving man 19:12 14 Jul 2007

press control/K
type "names" -- without quotes
list of current names will show ( you can have up to 7)
Delete the one no longer needed and after 6 months it will totally disappear

driving man 19:13 14 Jul 2007

PS this has to be done using the master screen name
Master name cannot be deleted

flyingbrit 19:31 14 Jul 2007

Thanks driving man, but I think you may have misunderstood.
He doesn't want anything from AOL on his pc, he hasn't got AOL anymore and he wants to shift "everything" inc. master screen name, that's what's getting in the way of his new e-mail adrress.
John

Sparkly 19:33 14 Jul 2007

Hi flyingbrit here are a few previous posts you might gain some info from them.

click here

click here

click here

mrwoowoo 19:34 14 Jul 2007

A bit heavy handed but aol leaves so much behind after uninstalling that this may be the only way.
just manually delete all aol folders in your programme files especially aol companion, although i would create a restore point first .

flyingbrit 19:36 14 Jul 2007

To clarify a little, he has set up a hotmail e-maill account but when he starts it up he says he gets his old AOL adrress in the window, and he wants to shift it....
John

flyingbrit 19:39 14 Jul 2007

Sparkly....cheers, yea I've been looking at those threads....thanks
mrwoowoo....yep could be the only way! don't like doing it tho'
John

Migwell 21:10 14 Jul 2007

Years back I tried AOL, what a load of *%$!@. I wanted to get rid it. I tried and tried, in the end the easiest way to get rid of all that *%$!@ was to format the computer that got rid of all the *%$!@ once and for all. I would NEVER go back to them again, they put their software in all sorts of nooks and crannies on your hard drive so you can't find it and delete it, but I did. One of the best things I ever did with my computer.

rdave13 21:27 14 Jul 2007

"To clarify a little, he has set up a hotmail e-maill account but when he starts it up he says he gets his old AOL adrress in the window, and he wants to shift it...."
Seems to me that the OS is corrupted. I find that uninstalling AOL is painless to do. Done it just to prove to myself that it's possible and still have internet access.
Suggest you run a reg cleaner and reboot. Something is radically wrong somewhere.

driving man 08:44 15 Jul 2007

Remember flyingbrit that AOL sometimes updates and so he might have eg AOL 7.0 - 9.0 - and 9a
so he will have to do 3 uninstalls in this case using "add/remove programs"
Some detritus will be left behind and can be left or manually removed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?