AOL 9.0 versus XP

Rodney-211388 11:22 09 Aug 2004

As an AOL subscriber, I'm trying to load AOL for the first time onto a two year old desk top running XP.

Two attempts have both failed - each time a connection with AOL was achieved once then therefater the machine kept crashing into a never ending cycle: booted up, desk top, after a very short while to recovery desktop, then switched itself off and on and on.

During this process, access to other functions was slow to frozen although both times I eventually reached system restore.

Any ideas?

hillybilly 11:27 09 Aug 2004

I know this is of no help, but it sounds very much like you have ms.blaster virus. Have you kept the pc updated over the past 2 years with the security patches?

Cesar 09:18 10 Aug 2004

Try AOL "Live Help"

Rodney-211388 16:07 10 Aug 2004

Thanks! - but I think a visit to the workshops is called for.

hugh-265156 16:20 10 Aug 2004

try this maybe.

does the computer start ok in safe mode? (keep tapping F8 as soon as you switch on and select it from the list)

if so then start up in safe mode and have a look in add remove programs and uninstall any old isp software listed here. next click 'start/control panel/system/advanced/start up and recovery/settings' and untick 'automatically restart' apply and ok.

next click 'start/run' and type 'msconfig' and click ok. click the 'startup' tab and make a note of all the items ticked and untick everything listed apart from any reference to your firewall and AV then click ok and restart the computer. click here for help on start up items if your unsure.

try and install the software now maybe. if the computer crashes again instead of a restart you should get an error. note this down as it may help find the problem.

Rodney-211388 20:45 10 Aug 2004

thanks - it doesn't get any better, so I'm having it sorted tomorrow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?