AOL

graham12 19:36 22 Apr 2007

I have AOL on my computer but have never signed up with them and upon doing a search i found 123 items to do with AOL.

Would it be possible to delete these without harming the computer as they are using quite a lot of memory

Graham

Graham. 19:47 22 Apr 2007

Yes, go ahead and delete them. AOL often comes pre-loaded on new computers.

Diodorus Siculus 19:47 22 Apr 2007

If you go into add/remove programs you will be able to remove some of it from there; it seems to come preinstalled on a lot of machines these days.

SB23 19:49 22 Apr 2007

When you say 123 items, what exactly are they?
I use Aol, and don't have that many items.
I do have 4 Aol items in my add/remove list, but thats it.

Steve

graham12 20:02 22 Apr 2007

What I did was look in add/remove and there was nothing listed so instead I did a search and found 123 files from help files,CNT files,DAT files etc these are the items i would like to delete

provider 2 21:01 22 Apr 2007

I am an AOL user and not surprised at that number of files. Frankly I`m more surprised by SB23`s claim that has only 4. I suspect he has never typed AOL into the search box or had to do a reinstall of this massive program.

SB23 16:05 23 Apr 2007

I've got 231, most of which are cookies that I clear out every few days, and are not a concern to me.

provider 2 15:57 24 Apr 2007

Most of which are cookies? What about AOL Toolbar, browser controls and settings/favourites/parental controls and settings;AOL Topspeed;AOL Anti-Spyware; AOL Instant Messenger profiles and settings; AOL Connectivity and settings; AOL Broadband Checker etc, etc...?

Graham. 16:01 24 Apr 2007

If you want to remove all AOL, do it from the Registry. Back it up first, then use Find (Ctrl+F).

provider 2 16:05 24 Apr 2007

Graham, I`ve Googled this a couple of times recently and,of course, the Add/remove and registry methods are recommeneded but others also say that the only sure way to remove AOL is by a complete re-install of XP.

SB23 17:22 24 Apr 2007

What about them?
Today I have 170, theres a small list of pages I've visited today, a few images, and a few other bits and pieces, still not a concern to me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?