anyone used a programme "BIGFIX"

david.h 12:46 26 Mar 2004

Any one used this free programme that checks the pc for upgrades/patches/drivers etc.

I saw it advertised on the net as a free programme. I used a service with CNET ages ago which did a similar thing but now no longer runs.

wanted an opinion first in case this is a programme that may upset my pc or be laden with spyware virus trojans etc.

Will it clash with Norton software?

edstowe 13:09 26 Mar 2004

I am always very careful about making changes in my computers. From past experiences, I know that much mischief can be caused by injudicious updating and general mucking about with the workings of your system.

My philsophy is of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it style" but, if you are determined that you need the latest versions of software, drivers etc, visit here on a regular basis and you will find out about most of the popular stuff at least. You can then decide what and if you want to load it.

Letting some program do this on is own is tantamount to opening up your computer to the world - and all that that entails.

€d

Newuser4165 13:22 26 Mar 2004

Evesham computers used to supply this program preinstalled - not sure if they still do.
Didn't cause any problem with my Evesham pc.It allows you to ignore any reported updates or install them if desired.

gold 47 14:04 26 Mar 2004

Always used it although no much going on now WXP must be to good.

Creditman 18:09 26 Mar 2004

I installed it about 6 weeks ago & after about a month it suddenly prevented my system from hibernating (which is my normal practice). This so annoyed me I removed it completely & have'nt missed it at all !

leo49 18:10 26 Mar 2004

Total waste of space and resources.

S5W 18:52 26 Mar 2004

It has been installed in my computer for two years. It has been useful on occasion and as Newuser4165 indicates,it can be ignored if you don't like the advice. I think leo49 is a bit abrupt as different people have varying requirements and skills. Try it and see.

Taw® 18:56 26 Mar 2004

Used it for ages after reccomendations from. Found it useful so follow the advice of S5W and give it a go

david.h 19:48 26 Mar 2004

thanks everyone for the comments i will give it a try

johnem 20:23 26 Mar 2004

It came pre installed on my Evesham, 2 1/2 years ago, seems to work well and have recenttly update to latest version. It was certainly very useful recently following ugrade to XP. As has eben said before, the option to install the recommendations is still down to you. It recently notified me that my antivirus definitions were out of date, I found that something had unknowingly corrupted the auto update feature.

spuds 22:26 26 Mar 2004

I used this programme a year ago or so. Found it caused more problems, than it solved, so I un-installed it.Just wasn't worth the hassle.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?