Anyone used Heart Internet Domain Privacy Service

CodeMeister 11:45 12 Oct 2007

I noticed that Heart Internet have started offering a Domain Privacy service which means that for a small fee (£4.99 per year) they will hide the domain owners contact details from the WhoIs database.

With so much identity theft going on at the moment, I think this is a great idea, although I can see that it would make it difficult to verify the legitimate owner of a website.

Has anyone used the service or does anyone have any views on this service ? Heart Internet are not the first company to offer this type of service.

Forum Editor 19:13 12 Oct 2007

1. Yes

2. Yes - it's an excellent idea for people who would rather not have their identities available to anyone who fancies running a WHOIS search.

SimpleSimon1 08:59 16 Oct 2007

It's also worth noting that, if you're a non-trading individual in the UK, Nominet UK offer you the option of withholding your contact details, for free.

I just registered a new domain via Heart and when the Nominet email arrived, the link on it let me update various information including setting the option for privacy. A WhoIs now reports:

"The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their address omitted from the WHOIS service."

and the privacy option on the Heart Internet Control Panel is greyed-out.

CodeMeister 11:14 16 Oct 2007

Thanks very much for that Simon.

Yes, the domain privacy only applies to .com, .net, .org, .info, .biz or .name domain names.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?