Anyone use a Belkin router?

ade.h 20:49 16 Dec 2005

Any model really, but the F5D 7632 in particular click here

It's probably either this or a D-link. Netgear is a possibility, but I'm a bit wary of some people's opinions of the 634 GT.

Thanks for any comments and opinions.

ade.h 20:51 16 Dec 2005

Forgot to mention that any suggestions will need to have a built-in modem and ideally be available from PC World so that I can get it locally.

De Marcus™ 22:55 16 Dec 2005

Bought this 3 days ago for a family member click here £10 dearer than the one you pointed out but setup is an absolute breeze and despite the description it does come with an adsl modem built in, even the box has it written on in the smallest of letters so it's easy to miss. 802.11b/g dongle included as well.

retep888 01:58 17 Dec 2005

Most of my experience with Belkin were their cable router, however the principle should be the same.

The Belkin again is another good router, though the setup manual needs a bit of good read before you begin, also I find the signal strength is not as good as the Netgear.

Let me give you an example, I live in a three storey house, the Netgear adsl wireless router sits on the ground floor, I can still pick up the signal on the top floor although a bit low but never dropped out or on the same floor but behind a very thick wall and a big piece of metal sheet, signal is excellent.

HTH

ade.h 16:57 17 Dec 2005

Thanks to both of you for the responses.

De Marcus - You're doing that D-link a disservice; it's actually only £2 more than the Belkin! I'd probably ignored it because of the unclear decsription, as you say. The modem bit isn't obvious.

As it happens, I took the plunge this morning and ordered the Belkin; might as well give it a go, I thought, and I'm glad I did.

I picked it up from the store this afternoon and, apart from the slightly long-winded manual (as retep rightly points out) it was quite easy to set up. I - a wifi newbie - was able to figure it out in next to no time and it works fine. Despite my concerns about solid brick walls, I'm getting maximum signal.

Actually, it proved to be a heck of a lot easier that my recent attempt to set up an ad-hoc Ethernet network - that was a pain in the backside!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?