anyone tell me if and how i can change these bios

pinka 21:10 06 Oct 2003

settings . have just run sisoft sandra benchmark and apparently the only thing that isnt set up the best it can be is my hard drive , have looked in bios but cant see where to change them . K7S5A mobo and diamond max plus 8:

SMART is not enabled. For safety/reliability it is best for it to be enabled. SMART monitors critical drive parameters and is able to warn you if the drive is about to fail so that you can back up the data and replace the drive. It has minimal performance impact that is offset by the security.

Acoustic Management enabled. While this reduces
the noise the drive generates, the performance is almost always impaired. Most of the time fans
generate more noise than the drive itself. If the drive does generate a lot of noise, it may be faulty. You could also consider swapping the drive for another model that generates less noise.

Current transfer mode not optimal, i.e. not
highest supported. This affects drive performance. If the controller is also capable of the highest supported transfer mode, there is no reason not to use it.

VoG II 22:09 06 Oct 2003

If your 'puter is working OK leave well alone.

DieSse 00:17 07 Oct 2003

Look on the Advanced Setup page of the BOS for SMART enabling (see p24 of Version3.1b of the user manual).

The Acoustic management setting will not appear in the BIOS

Transfer rate - well you should be using the highset rate, of course - you may already be, and they've got it wrong. The main thing you can do is check that you've got an 80-wire IDE cable if you have a drive UDMA66 or higher.

Whilst I agree with the general sentiments about Sandra - it doesn't necessarily get everything wrong all the time.

DieSse 00:20 07 Oct 2003

click here for acoustic management software from maxtor.

Djohn 01:20 07 Oct 2003

DieSse. Would it also help if the drive is set to DMA? or is this the default setting for hard drives, if available anyway? j.

DieSse 01:23 07 Oct 2003

It would be very unusual if the BIOS was not set to DMA already.

pinka 08:17 07 Oct 2003

just found that mobo only supports ata\100 so i cant use hard drive to full .

DieSse 09:08 07 Oct 2003

ATA/UDMA100 is fine - you wouldn't see any difference if you could set it to 133, as hard drives are much slower than that in practice - so don't even worry about that aspect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017