Is anyone sharing my WiF?

kjrider 12:17 19 Feb 2006

Hi there. I have got my Wifi set up and working fine. Have recently had new neighbours and am curious to know if anyone else is sharing my WiFi. If so, I could go and ask them to contribute to the cost of the Broadband.

I know people will tell me to get my WiFi encrypted and make it secure, but is there any way I can tell who else may be using it?

powerless 12:19 19 Feb 2006

What router you got?

kjrider 12:48 19 Feb 2006

Its a Motorola(802.11g) one and a Netgear one (b).

Forum Editor 13:01 19 Feb 2006

with your broadband supplier to charge someone at another address a fee for sharing the connection, so don't do it.

Secure your router, and forget about it.

kjrider 14:58 30 Mar 2006

It only applies to some ISP companies.

I am still wondering how to know if my neighbour is using mine. Any Ideas?

Minkey1 21:45 30 Mar 2006

If you know the MAC addresses/computer "names" of your kit, your router's configuration page may show a list of connected computers under DHCP table or similar. Look for strange PC's. Irrespective, you are advised to apply proper security. Even if charging someone for a share of your bandwith was not a breach of your ISP's terms - don't do it - you've no idea what they are browsing/downloading, and it's all being logged against your account.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?