Anyone recommend a wireless router,easy setup!

eh? 16:50 14 May 2007

Hi everyone
I'm looking for a wireless router, to connect a laptop (nothing else at the mo) to the net.
Can anyone recommend one thats quite simple to setup, and good value at the moment please?
Many thanks.

^wave^ 16:53 14 May 2007

i use a netgear never had a problem easy to set up

Pineman100 16:55 14 May 2007

Aren't all routers pretty much as easy or difficult as each other?

I suspect this is one of those "easy when you know how" situations.

Dipso 17:05 14 May 2007

Is this for broadband over a BT line or cable broadband as the hardware is different. If it's over a BT line you are better off going for a combined modem/router rather than a stand alone router.

I have tested Linksys, Netear and Speedtouch and found Netgear much more user friendly out of the 3.

Is your laptop wireless enabled?

Gongoozler 17:10 14 May 2007

I have a Netgear DG834G. I had never used or installed a wireless router before, but I found this an absolute doddle to set up. My laptop isn't wireless enabled, but the router I bought came with a Netgear W111 wireless USB dongle which was also very easy to install.

Ray5776 17:44 14 May 2007

Linksys.

eh? 18:09 14 May 2007

Thank you to all .
Dipso: It is on NTL but isn't it Virgin now?
Laptop is wireless enabled, and I think consensus seems to be Netgear? Do I still need a PCMCIA card then, if its wireless enabled?

sunny staines 18:39 14 May 2007

linksys, even has a 24 hour freephone line to help you set up and set security settings

Dipso 20:49 14 May 2007

So you need a cable router to go with the provided cable modem. I set my parents up using a Linksys but that was wired only not wireless. One of the cable guys will have to recommend a model as I'm on BT broadband.

If the laptop is wireless enabled you don't need a PC card.

eh? 22:41 15 May 2007

Dipso, so do I buy just a router then, and combine it with the modem I already have? Or could I buy a combined modem/router to save messing about?

Mad Mick 22:53 15 May 2007

If you already have a cable modem from NTL then all you need to buy is a cable router. I would agree with sunny staines and his/her recommendation of a Linksys. I set one up for my daughter and the helpline was excellent

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?