Anyone recommend a good free DVD decoder?

Armchair 20:26 28 Dec 2007

For use with Windows XP Home? I've always used Cyberlink before now, but I've just formatted my hard drive, and I don't seem to be able to find the disc, lol. I need something else. Nothing fancy.

JamieC 20:44 28 Dec 2007

PCHell.com says:

Developing and certifying a DVD decoder requires that additional licensing and royalty fees be paid to the various patentholders of DVD technology. This is why DVD decoders are not available as free software. Usually when you buy a DVD player for a computer it comes with DVD decoder software.

So, you might have to pay for a dvd decoder.

There isn't a free standalone dvd encoder, but if you just want a free program to play dvds on your computer, use VLC Media Player.

click here

It doesn't need a decoder to play dvds, so it's the best solution if you want to play them without decoder software.

Armchair 20:47 28 Dec 2007

Hmmm, thanks. I'll give it a go.

When I bought the PC, it had Cyberlink etc. pre-installed on it. I'm sure I had a back-up CD for it, but I can't find it anywhere. Woe is me! Can't believe I've chucked it out...........

Armchair 21:02 28 Dec 2007

Hehe, I've found the Cyberlink Power Cinema Suite CD Key card, but no disc! Any way I could make use of this CD Key?

Armchair 21:20 28 Dec 2007

Okay. VLC installed, but when I try to play a DVD on it I get no picture, just sound. Something missing, but what?

JamieC 21:21 28 Dec 2007

Here's the program:

click here

It's 98mb

Try the CD Key with that. If it doesn't work, I can send you a patch.

JamieC 21:28 28 Dec 2007

go into VLC's preferences, under Modules>output modules> PortAudio I changed the value 0 to 1, and Save the preferences.

If not, change the other output values from 0 to 1 and see what happens.

JamieC 21:30 28 Dec 2007

if there's no picture, I don't know what the problem is. It works fine on my laptop, when I play dvds through VLC. Hmmm

Armchair 21:41 28 Dec 2007

Rapidshare? I don't understand.........

MAJ 21:43 28 Dec 2007

Probably don't have the correct codec installed. Try the KLite codec pack. click here

Miké 21:48 28 Dec 2007

I use this click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?