Anyone purchased from http://www.powerc.com/

geriatrix 12:16 27 Dec 2008

Hi there,

Just trying to purchase a new computer come the new year,

I was wondering if anyone has any good information regarding powerc.

This a spec i was considering

Antec Nine Hundred - Advanced Gaming Case
Corsair 750Watt PSU
ASUS P5Q Pro
Intel® Core™2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core 4x2.4GHz 8MB cache
Coolermaster Hyper TX2 Fan
Corsair XMS2 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz
640GB 7200RPM SATA II
Samsung SH-S223 22x DVD RW Black SATA
Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB
Microsoft Windows Vista SP1 Home Premium (64-bit)
Built-in audio
2 Years Return to Base inc. 2 Years Free Collect & Return Parts & Labour

Do you think this would be a good build for roughly £1000, This is the kind of spec i was looking for in the aim to overclock the cpu. Is there any other viable options i have looked at novatech although they dont seem to offer such a set up and only go as far as 2 gig of ram,

I only have a 22 inch screen with a resolution of 1680x1050. Do you think there is any point having the 2x4870 or would one do the job running games of current day and perhaps empire total war when it comes, perhaps the nvidea 280 instead?.

johndrew 14:49 27 Dec 2008

The PC I`m currently using was bought from Power Computing in May/June 2005. Both HDDs fitted by them (Maxtor) have failed during this time; they replaced one, a 16MB cache with an 8MB cache, under warranty, the second I went directly to Maxtor for a replacement.

On the positive side the PC has functioned reasonably well even though a bit noisily. It is quieter with WD HDDs and a replacement chip cooling fan from Asus - that failed outside warranty and as I found out was a known shortcoming of the motherboard anyway.

I found their customer service within usual tolerances.

It is, as always, your choice as to which supplier you choose and whether you consider the specification offered to be value for money. There are many suppliers to choose from and all will provide a quote against a specification. You say Novatech don`t offer such a setup, have you e-mailed them or looked at the options to personalise a PC?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?