anyone know what tool i need for this?!

  Superstylin 14:40 22 Jan 2007

hi, i'm trying to remove the casing from an old 'time' branded machine but it has what appear to be tamper proof screws. anyone know where i can source a tool to release them?

here's a pic, the centre is raised rather than recessed like torx
click here

  pj123 14:46 22 Jan 2007

Can you not use a pair of Mole Grips?

  Superstylin 14:47 22 Jan 2007

u mean summat like needle nosed pliers? i tried that and nearly took my fingers off lol

  Superstylin 14:48 22 Jan 2007

oh, that's a mole grip. looked it up on google. the nut is too shallow to get any kind of hold unfortunately

  Totally-braindead 14:49 22 Jan 2007

Yeah I've seen these. I don't have a tool to remove them either. I did what pj123 suggested and used mole grips then replaced them with normal screws, didn't see the point of buying a tool to remove one set of screws.
If you really want to keep them then only suggestion I have is try your local hardware store, I'm afraid I don't know what you call them though.

  Superstylin 14:51 22 Jan 2007

i'll try again with mole grips brb

  Totally-braindead 14:55 22 Jan 2007

Mole grips will work with a bit of fiddling. They are not the same as pliers, they lock onto the head of the screw.
Know what you mean about the pliers though gave myself one hell of a nip on my hand when I tried it.
Other suggestions, if you have the correct saw cut a slot in the head of the screw so you can use a normal screw driver or bore them out with a hand drill. If you use the drill method watch you don't bore the thread out as well as then you'll be unable to replace them and do clean out the inside of your PC as even small iron fillings can blow up your PC if they are left on the motherboard.
Simplist method is the mole grips, unless you can find someone who can supply this type of screw head.

  amonra 14:57 22 Jan 2007

What I have done in a similar situation is to file down a flat-bladed screwdriver and jam it into the middle of the bolt. Use a molegrips or similar tool to apply torque whilst keeping a steady pressure on the handle of the screwdriver. Good luck, and watch your fingers !!!

  Superstylin 14:59 22 Jan 2007

done it! i tried the mole grips again but nearly lost my thumb this time! then i found some tiny needle nosed pliers in my bro's toolbox and they worked a treat....i'll put up with my sore fingers for that!
cheers for your input guys

  wilkiewonder 15:53 22 Jan 2007

sounds like you have security torx, theres a little nipple in the center, the tools are inexpensive from a good tood stockist

  wilkiewonder 15:54 22 Jan 2007

sorry that was supposed to be tool stockist just in case you were wondering what a "tood" was

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?