Anyone know anything about fixing DVD players?

Hello.

I own a Marantz DVD Player 4610.
I have been given a faulty (although very good) DVD player from my employer (which otherwise would have been thrown in the skip). It's a Marantz DV4610. The fault doesn't appear to be too serious so I figured it would be worth having a go at trying to repair it.

The fault is that the player keeps going into standby mode. I.e. once it is plugged in, it will be in standby mode. When the power button is pushed, the unit momentarily switches on, displaying the usual background image on the TV. Then about one second or so later, it switches back to standby (The same thing happens if you press the play button). If you press the eject button, the unit switches back on, ejects the tray, and displays the background image on the TV. It will remain like this until the tray is closed where it will once again immediately return to standby mode. This happens regardless of whether there is a disc present or not (so it is not a power saving feature when no disc is detected!)

I would be very grateful if anyone would be able to advise how to go about trouble shooting / fixing the problem.

Many thanks,

David

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:38 07 Apr 2010

Sounds as if its not detecting a disk.
Open it up, keep away from mains input plug in
Clean the laser, make sure disk spins when inserted.

northumbria61 23:37 07 Apr 2010

You could have a look at/download manual for your player from here which may help

click here

ashdav 00:15 08 Apr 2010

Looks to me like one of two problems:
1. Firmware is corrupted.
2. Power supply fault. This is the most likely due
to stress on SMPS components from voltage and
heat.

Just realised the first two lines of my post were not supposed to be there - they were the first 2 lines from the e-mail I sent to Marantz which I must not have deleted when I copied my opening post into Word to spell check it (just in case you were wondering why it didn't make sense lol).

Fruit Bat, I have just had another look there. The cover of the machine is removed so I can actually see the DVD when it is inserted. Upon powering the machine, the DVD does not even spin at all, so it must not be a dirty lense causing the fault. Also, I'm fairly sure that when it did work, if there was no disc then it still used to power on and would simply display the background image on the TV and say "No Disc", rather than just shutting down as it does now.

Northumbria61, I've already had a look through the manual but couldn't find anything that relates to my specific problem

Thanks for the suggestions though.

A firmware fault is what I'm beginning to suspect as being the cause too. Any idea how to go about fixing that? There isn't any data ports on the player (eg. USB) and without it spinning the discs I can't see that being an option either!

If the power supply was at fault, would the player behave normally when the tray is ejected? If so, is that something that is repairable?

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:15 08 Apr 2010

Motor should run when tray is first closed then stops if disk not detected.

check under tray that motor switch is making.

ashdav 11:26 08 Apr 2010

From past experience firmware for DVD players is applied by running the file burned to a CD that's been downloaded from the manufacturers website.
Not much help to you though if the discs won't spin up.
If it's not detecting a disc the laser may be faulty.

ashdav 11:34 08 Apr 2010

With the lid off, close the tray without a disc in and see if the laser moves up and down.
It should try to focus to detect a disc before it spins up.
If it does move put a piece of tissue over the lens and see if the laser beam shows as it focuses.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:37 08 Apr 2010

It won't detect the disk if the disk doesn't spin.

so you may be looking at a motor failure

LAst two I looked at one motor failure (thrown away)other, still working, ribbon cable was catching motor switch and stopping it from closing.

Thanks for the advise. I shall try what has been suggested

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?