Anyone heard about this?

bof:) 21:03 15 Nov 2006

Hi all, just got this from brother-in-law who is at work....I've looked at McAfee site but found nothing.

Be alert during the next few days: Don't open any message with an attached file called "Invitation", regardless of who sent it. It's a virus that opens an Olympic Torch that "burns" the whole hard disk of your computer.

This virus will come from someone who has your e-mail address; that's why you should send this e-mail to all your contacts. It's better
to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus

This is the worst virus announced by CNN, it's been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever. The virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there's no repair yet for this particular virus. It simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disk, where vital information
is kept.

I'm assuming its yet another scare job.

Mike

Carpigiani 21:07 15 Nov 2006

Yes it is a hoax click here

philly73 21:11 15 Nov 2006

any rumour or scare job regarding a virus is worth warning people about mike..good call

Miros 21:17 15 Nov 2006

Hi Mike, all these hoax's seem to have the same warning....

'Be alert during the next few days: Don't open any message with an attached file called "Invitation", regardless of who sent it. It's a virus that opens an Olympic Torch that "burns" the whole hard disk of your computer.'

Or very similar variations of same.
No luck with CD yet? Bob.

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:34 15 Nov 2006

I disagree unless you do a bit of research first...only if you do not forward email messages to all and sundry in our address book. It is always worth doing a Google.

G

Vangeliska 22:40 15 Nov 2006

that's why you should send this e-mail to all your contacts.

Miros 00:21 16 Nov 2006

Your wrong if every one sends say just 25 e-mails to their contact's it very soon becomes 25x 25 =625 x 25 =15625 x 25= 39025 X 25= 976525.Just short of one million with it only sent out four times x 25 each. Before very long they have succeeded snarling up the internet.

This is the very purpose of what they are trying to achieve.
So don't do it update your anti- virus instead, they ( anti-virus kiddy's )will or should be watching for any new threats on the internet, and should be ahead of us.

bof:) 11:31 16 Nov 2006

one of the reasons I askd was because the list of email address' that this had been sent to was quite large.

So lots of people where passing it on, but I dont know how many had actually gone to the McAfee website to actually had a look. The email says 'The virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday'. But I suppose it depends when yesterday was :-)

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?