Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review
I have been happily using a CRT monitor for some time now, but find that if I have the brightness too high and a refresh rate less then 70htz I get serious eye strain that is damned painful.
I recently purchased 3 different laptops and found that I had the same problems with these screens as I did with low refresh rate monitors. I now have an LCD screen on my desk but have had to go back to my monitor as I cannot put up with the eye strain. I set the refresh rate high on the monitor/dropped the brightness but this seems to have made little difference.
Does anyone else suffer this? My understanding is that LCD/laptop displays should be better yet I cannot use them at all?
Oddly, mine was the other way.
I got eye strain from my CRT monitor.
Since using LCD for a few years, no problem.
I was given to understand my problem was probably caused by radiation from the CRT.
The refresh rate of a CRT monitor should be at 85MHz to eliminate the effects of flicker for the vast majority of users.
Cheers VOG, work machine is Win2K but cleartype is for XP only (tried this on the laptops I purchased).
Fingees, I originally had the same problem with CRT when I purchased XP on my home computer but then installed refreshfix to forced 85+ htz (apparently XP struggles to maintain the set refresh rate), which resolved 80% issue (the other 20% was down to brightness).
StuartLi cheers, but the issue is not with the CRT monitor, that is fine, the issue is with LCD and laptop screens.
This is really annoying as CRT will soon be a thing of the past leaving me with nothing I can use =/
>>but the issue is not with the CRT monitor>>
I did realise that - it was merely an observation.
My understanding of panel monitors is that the refresh rate is native at 60MHz (along with the resolution for various sizes).
Does that mean if the refresh rate is native to 60htz then using software to increase it makes no difference? If so it would explain the problem (but not how to resolve =)
My (simple) understanding is that CRT Monitors need to refresh the screen as CRT screens do not maintain the illumination of each pixel. Consequently the refresh rate needs to be high enough so that you don't see the drop off (perceived as flicker). Typically a CRT refresh rate needs to be 80 - 85Hz (cycles per second). I find it amazing the number of people who just (used to) use them out of the box at 60 - 70 Hz with very obvious flicker - maybe my eyes are more sensitive.
Typically, it is the flicker that causes eye-strain / headeaches with CRTs, not radiation.
By contrast, LCD pixels are stable - i.e once "illuminated" they stay that way until changed (as long as the power is maintained). Consequently refresh rate is not of major consequence. Most LCDs have a native refresh rate (typically 60Hz), which I gues is large to maintain compaitibility with the video output of the PC (does anyone know whether refresh rate even applies to a DVI link, as I use analogue?)
BTW don't confuse refresh rate with response time on LCDs. See the "Refresh rate, response time, flicker and motion-blur" section of click here, which gives a fuller explanation of the differences between LCD and CRT.
Also see click here
"Does anyone else suffer this? My understanding is that LCD/laptop displays should be better yet I cannot use them at all?"
The CRT monitors caused me to have headaches, so bough a LCD screen. It seemed rather "bright" to me, and I mentioned this to my Optician. She reccommended a pair of "computer" glasses with those lense that darken in bright sunlight. It solved my problem. Just a thought.
Has a point...
If I'm using the crt screen I have to wear my glasses or suffer a thumping headach, but with my laptop don't get a headach, but need to wear my glasses to deblur the screen
But with my main computer which I'm running vista on, it has a sony lcd screen, which is slightly smaller than my others, and I do not need my glasses with this one at all.
>>the number of people who just (used to) use them out of the box at 60 - 70 Hz with very obvious flicker >>
This could well be due to the fact that they see the default setting as Optimal which is, in fact, 60MHz, and certainly not Optimal...:-)
My younger offspring, an IT support specialist, knows instantly if a monitor is set at 70 or 75MHz because of the flicker, yet is perfectly happy with one at 85MHz or above.
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.