Anybody using NTL Netguard Anti-Virus ?

freaky 20:26 04 Jan 2006

I have already done a post on this in Consumers Corner - not many replies yet.

Netguard is an Anti-Virus program provided free to NTL users. Would be interested to hear if anybody is using it.

mobileman1953 21:25 04 Jan 2006

yes i am been using it for 3 weeks now updates automatically every 3 hours had no problems at all

freaky 11:26 05 Jan 2006

Thanks for the reply, as a matter of interest what AV program were you using before Netguard ?

mobileman1953 11:58 05 Jan 2006

i was using nortons internet security 2006 but it was a real pain slowing machine down and coming up with errors all the time, tried uninstalling and reinstalling but still did not work , but had no trouble since installing netguard and using windows own firewall

freaky 15:36 05 Jan 2006

That's just the information I was hoping to hear !

I have two PC's networked togther, both have Norton Internet Security 2004 installed. On this PC the subscription expires June 2006. But on the other PC it expired 29th December - I don't want to spend £35 just to renew !

Did you find using Add/Remove programs uninstalled Norton OK, or did you have to download and run SymNRT from Symantec to get rid of it all ?

freaky.

mobileman1953 18:25 05 Jan 2006

had to download symnrt then still had to remove some entries from registry manually

freaky 18:45 05 Jan 2006

OK - many thanks. I will make a start on doing it shortly.

freaky 19:24 05 Jan 2006

Norton Internet Security uninstalled OK. And Netguard installed + I activated the XP Firewall.

The following Symantec programs are still showing in Add/Remove Programs: -

a) Norton WMI Update
b) Live Reg
c) Live Update

Do you think it might be best to uninstall these as well ?

Many thanks,

freaky

freaky 22:05 05 Jan 2006

Following on to my last post - I have uninstalled Norton WMI Update with no problems.

Cannot uninstall Live Reg and Live update - this is because I also use Norton Clean Sweep. Would have to also remove Clean Sweep to do this !

Clean Sweep is excellent program for removing the general clutter that accumulates as a result of Internet activity i.e. cookies, cache and Active X controls.

As a result I will leave things as they are - at least I am not being interrupted by requests from them to renew my subscription !!

Strawballs 01:03 06 Jan 2006

I tried it on my laptop when it first came out but I could not get on with it so I went back to AVG

freaky 10:13 06 Jan 2006

You never really know how good an AV program is until you get infected - that is the real test.

Prior to installing Netguard I had Norton, since NTL commenced checking all emails (about 6 months ago) it had detected nothing. Before that Norton was detecting about 10 per week !

The only warnings I do get occasionally from Norton is a Trojan trying to get access.

As Netguard does not include a Firewall, I will have to rely on the one included with XP - or download Zone Alarm. I had that before but it caused lot's of problems, so I will wait until the Netguard one is available.

I just did a virus scan using Netguard, and the report was far more detailed than with Norton !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)