Anybody having problems with mcAfee Site Advisor

birdface 00:35 26 Mar 2008

Hi.having a few problems with McAfee Site Advisor.Every time I open a new thread or change pages SAServices.exe uses 100% of the CPU.It is only temporary is this usual.I have run my Security programs and nothing has been found.I dont know if it is just a problem with the PCA Site or not.As PCA site has been acting up to-day when you sign in and try and open another thread it wants you to sign in again.

birdface 00:38 26 Mar 2008

I have just Googled it and come up with this.click here=

birdface 00:54 26 Mar 2008

Ok.Have gone into Administrative Tools.Services.And stopped SiteAdvisor Services from running.That seemed to do the trick.But not a final solution.SiteAdvisor still seems to be working and showing suspect sites.Will find out to-morrow when I reboot.

birdface 10:29 26 Mar 2008

Nope that did not work.SAServices.exe still using up CPU.Got to go out.Will try removing and reinstalling when I get back.Any advice welcome.

birdface 10:34 26 Mar 2008

Maybe its me that is being a bit thick.Is it supposed to check every page that I go to.Its just that I noticed it using up to 100% of the CPU in TaskManager.And have not noticed it before.

birdface 11:03 26 Mar 2008

Ok.Removed it.Done a search and deleted a McAfee file that was still there.Forgot to mention ran C Cleaner and Winaso.Rebooted reinstalled.And seems to be working ok at the moment.Will classify as resolved once I reboot a few times.I hope that resolves it.

Stuartli 11:03 26 Mar 2008

I wouldn't worry about it Site Advisor is merely doing its job.

Naturally it checks every website you visit - pointless having it if it didn't...:-)

By the way, there are two versions, one for IE and the other for Firefox etc.

The correct download for a browser is automatically done when you visit the SA website - I do both at the same time to keep them up to date.

birdface 12:17 26 Mar 2008

Thanks for that.After deleting it and going into search and deleting a file that was left on there.Then running C Cleaner and Winaso then reinstalling seems to have done the trick.Hardly notice any movement on SAservices.exe any more.It was using up to 100% before.So I have put it down to a corrupt file.Everything Ok at the moment so will class this as resolved.

birdface 16:47 27 Mar 2008

Just when I thought that I had fixed it,its back again using up to 100% CPU and slowing things down a bit.

birdface 17:42 27 Mar 2008

Ok Following some other threads.Have gone into Control Panel.Administrative tools.Services.Scrolled down to Site Advisor services.Right clicked it.Properties.And disabled it in the dropdown Bar.I have also gone into msconfig and unticked from there as well.Rebooted the computer and Site Advisor is still working Ok without hogging the CPU.I new my computer was acting a bit strange.So opened Taskmanager while I skipped through a few pages it was only then that I realised it was a Site Advisor problem.So anybody else out there using McAfee Site Advisor it would be worth checking to make sure that yours is running Ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone