Any windows updates that you should not install

Bally 2k4 17:41 20 Jan 2004

After agreeing to update throung windows update site i was confroned by my friend at work who started chtting about some updates you should not intall- are they any that you should not install? Please could you tell me and give me the number which goes with it- like k*********.

Thanks in advance

powerless 17:44 20 Jan 2004

All of 'em are OK to install - Generally.

You could through each one to see if your system specifically needs the update.

Bally 2k4 17:45 20 Jan 2004

Thanks, i read the description and just downloading the critiical one that i needed after its scan.

Chegs ® 17:49 20 Jan 2004

The only updates I tend to ignore are the drivers,especially if my puter is running ok with its present ones.I tried M$ updated drivers for my soundcard,puter crashed,NIC,puter refused to reboot,SATA hdd,XP kept losing data after reboots until finally failed to reboot with error message about config.sys/ntldr/hd0,etc and needing regular repair.

Bally 2k4 17:58 20 Jan 2004

Chegs ® i will keep in min that dont update drivers thanks.

johnnyrocker 18:04 20 Jan 2004

in general critical updates are just that and ok to d/load as previous definately advisable to stay away from drivers because they very rarely work or are older than those on board.

johnny.

hoverman 18:07 20 Jan 2004

I agree from experience - avoid all drivers from Windows Update.

Bally 2k4 07:23 21 Jan 2004

Thanks and i will do!

stlucia 08:56 21 Jan 2004

As a general rule, I would only install a Windows update if I know it cures a bug which is affecting me, or if I know it has a new feature I want. Using those parameters, I've only ever installed the Win 98 fixes for HDD size limitations.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?