any way of stopping spam?

numcy 15:03 17 Oct 2003

After 4 years of PC ownership the spammers have finally got me! I dont mind so much but I do object to some of the adult content especially as my kids sometimes get to the thing before I do. Is their a programme on the net or available to buy which would delete the content of these emails before they appear on the screen. I would like one which is compatible with Norton.Norton currently detects spam but doesnt delete it.
Many thanks

smegs 15:24 17 Oct 2003

U will need to download mail washer or another program alike. I use mail washer, U can preview the emails before U Outlook downloads them. U then have a choice to Blacklist or accecpt them. click here

john-232317 17:06 17 Oct 2003

It is still a pain to have to check through it in mailwasher,i got close to 100 a day on my virgin addy, but hardly any on my new ones, if it is possible change your email address.

spuds 12:11 18 Oct 2003

At present there is no way of stopping spam 100%.There is an increasing number of anti spam programmes on the market, both free and payable. But to choice a product that will cover all needs, would be very difficult.Spammers have got their distribution methods,highly tuned, and to find the original sending location, could prove very difficult.

I have suggested,many times,within this forum. That contacting your ISP may help, as some of the ISP's now, are offering, at an additional fee, some form of pre-selection and deletion of spam content.Other methods, would be, to download some freebie or trial programmes like MailWasher,SpamWeasel etc, and test run these yourself. For a selection, try a Google search.

numcy 16:55 18 Oct 2003

many thanks to you all for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017