Any typists out there..?

barryoneoff.co.uk 15:14 12 Jul 2003

I normally only use my keyboard for normal documents, but for the job in hand I need to access some of the hidden symbols in certain fonts. When printing out fonts in Font Explorer they all show characters from 33 to 255. The normal keyboard only contains up to about 126. How do I access the others? (I have tried using the Alt key, but that still doesn't show them all.)

Cheers, Whiz...

pj123 15:31 12 Jul 2003

What programme are u using to type in? What Symbols do you require?

hugh-265156 16:08 12 Jul 2003

in xp anyway try start/all programs/accessories/tools/character map might help.

barrie_g 18:15 12 Jul 2003

Pressing Alt+(three figure number) brings up different characters but I don't know which is what so trial and error up to now.

-pops- 18:20 12 Jul 2003

You can find out the combinations in Character Map (Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Character Map).

Brian

-pops- 18:21 12 Jul 2003

Oh, huggy's already said that, ooops!

barryoneoff.co.uk 18:22 12 Jul 2003

Thanks barrie_g, didn't think of using the codes, I will give it a try.

pj123- using graphics progs. That was the trouble, not word processing.

huggy71- already got them in print form, but not using word processor, that was the problem.

Thanks all, will green tick if barrie_g's solution works.

barrie_g 18:49 12 Jul 2003

Thanks for the credit but it looks like a couple of other people gave you a better answer than me I simply put it in a way that you picked up on.

pj123 21:30 12 Jul 2003

I can send you a complete list of the ASCII codes required if you want. You must have the "num lock" key on and use the Alt key + the 3 digit number. Just hold down the Alt and type in the 3 digits and then let go and the character will appear.

email me and I will send it to you.

barryoneoff.co.uk 22:34 12 Jul 2003

didn't know I had to use number lock, thats why I couldn't get it to work. Will try your way.

I think I have the codes on the printouts from Font Explorer (there's a number in each characters box). If they are not, I will Email you. Thanks for your help, Whiz...

pj123 23:32 12 Jul 2003

You're welcome.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?