Any Tech guys pls help :(

Pugamall 13:23 02 Oct 2008

Hi newbie here as you will no doubt tell,
I have a problem and have trawled the internet with nothing really helping me out,
I'm hoping this is the right place,
I upgraded my very tired old amd powerd machine it was very olad and was only about 1.3ghz,and had got hold of an IBM ThinkCentre M50 8187 I think it is,Which was being thrown out !! at work,so I transferd psu and motherboard to my case,and have been using it happily for a year or so,as it is a much faster 2.8 pent 4 and I have been able to upgrade ram to 4gb,with a decent graphics card its turned out to be a great machine,and I have been turned away from consoles to my PC.
Anyway now I have got into pc's I decided to gett a better case with more room and better looks,so I have a brand new Raidmax ninja case,
My problem is the connections needed (power switch,reset switch,front usb port,hard drive status indicator and even audio ports,are different from IBMs connections,and I can find nowhere that will show me how to make the connections
I guess I was silly to think it would all be a standard connection fit,or maybee that a ready built pc from a main munufacture would use different plugs and terminals,a newbie mistake
is there anyway to the best of your knowlage I can find a way to find what pins I need to connect to make the verious things work correctly,I have pics of the board and the lenovo site tells me info about the original set up:-
Product: ThinkCentre M50 8187-Y2J

Original description: Based on 8187-CTO: Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz (1MB), 533MHz FSB, 512MB, 40GB 7200RPM IDE HDD, PCI Desktop (4x4), Intel Extreme Graphics 2, 16x DVD-ROM, Intel Gigabit Ethernet, POV, Custom DOS License

I would really really appreciate some help if any one can throw any idieas at me,I work in the motor trade,so know a little about wiring and circuits,but this is on a lot smaller scale than any circuits we use

if you need any more info I'l find what I can

Thanks for looking
Chris

brundle 13:41 02 Oct 2008

See if Everest gives you more detail on the motherboard - they're often rebranded versions of mainstream boards. click here

Pugamall 14:47 02 Oct 2008

Thanks I ran the tool and it came up with the following:-
Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 2800 MHz (21 x 133)
Motherboard Name IBM 8187Y2J
Motherboard Chipset Intel Springdale-G i865G
System Memory 502 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (09/16/04)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Now I must say its not on the motherboard that I am moving as I cant power that up or use it,but its from the machine I am on now which is the same as the units they were getting rid of and I used,so I must figure it is the same
Does that help at all ???

aceofbass 16:26 02 Oct 2008

Try click here

Or click here

I've glanced through these and can't see the details of the Motherboard connector - but it was only a glance.

You need to examine the motherboard and note carefully its make and model, then google it (often it is easier to go to the manufacturer's website and download the motherboard manual. However, if my memory serves me correctly, sometimes there are different versions of the same MoBo made for the big manufacturers.

I got round a similar problem by transferring the wiring and front panel switches and leds from an IBM to a new case as the case connectors were different from those on the motherboard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?