Any risks in double splitting coaxial cables?

281apple 07:30 18 May 2008

The Optical Fibre Cable input from our building into my apartment is in the Living Room. I installed a splitter in the Living Room having one coaxial cable going to the Living Room TV and the other coaxial cable from the Living Room to my small office. Up to now it worked OK for the TV in my office. But now I want to split the cable in my office (with a second splitter) so as to have one cable to the TV in my office and one cable to my router. Do you think it is a good idea? What could the avantages or disadvantages be of having this double splittler configuration?

Technotiger 07:33 18 May 2008

I don't think the double splitter set-up will do any harm. I would say go ahead.

281apple 07:38 18 May 2008

Thanks Technotiger for your quick and encouraging reply.

Technotiger 07:57 18 May 2008

I have 2 TV,s - 3 VCR's - 2 Digi-boxes - 1 DVD Recorder - Video/Audio Processor and my PC all inter-connected and coax splitters 'everywhere' .... TV on the PC, PC on the TV, BT HomeHub Router and four telephones in different rooms (all coming from one main phone point) and no problems at all!

crosstrainer 08:20 18 May 2008

If you do have problems, consider installing a signal booster (at the point where the cable enters the building)

Migwell 08:54 18 May 2008

Each time you split the cable you halve the signal quality and power. If you live quite near a transmitter and have, no obstructions there should be no problem with one split. I would rather recomend that you buy a powered 2/3 or 4 way splitter amplifer. You can get these from B&Q and Wickes amongst other places.

281apple 11:32 18 May 2008

TO Technotiger: Perhaps I did not express myself very well. I am on CATV but also have an Internet connection plus telephone with a router funished by the Cable Company. Are you talking about CATV too?
TO CROSTRAINER: I can't access the cable coming into the building because it is locked up.
TO BETA: What I will have is the same as the HAMA CATV SPLITTER-2way that you suggested.
Migwell: I'll check out what you suggeted but I don't think I know enough about it all to be so daring.
I think I'll give it a try and buy a 2 way splitter this afternoon or tomorrow. But I will have to take the incoming cable off the present plug in on the wall, put a screwing type end on it and then screw it onto the splitter. Does anyone know what I should do with the copper metalic kind of weaved like covering when I put the new end on the cable? Do I cut it off or do I have to save it. Maybe technotiger knows the answer to this one.
Don't laugh, I'm really bad at this sort of thing.
Best to all, Raymond

Technotiger 12:08 18 May 2008

No, I was not thinking CATV - but in any case it looks as if ßeta has answered your last question. Good luck.

281apple 17:12 18 May 2008

THANKS EVERYONE. I BOUGHT THE TWO WAY SPLITTER THAT BETA SUGGESTED AND I AM GOING TO TRY IT. BUT BETA YOU SAID TO CRIMP THE F SERIES END USING THAT COPPER BRAID SO DON't CUT IT OFF. YOU MIGHT BE RUNNING OUT OF PATIENCE, BUT BETA? IF I DON'T CUT IT OFF, DO I HAVE TO IN SOME WAY WIND IT AROUND THE CABLE SOMEWHERE? IF SO, WHERE DO I WIND IT AND WHERE SHOULD I NOT WIND IT?

DieSse 18:03 18 May 2008

How to fit an F-connector.

click here

If it's internal, miss out the grease.

281apple 07:10 19 May 2008

THANKS DieSse, the how to fit an F-connector is exactly what I needed. I'm going to try to get the damn thing working today. Have to buy an extension plug but here goes. Wish me luck guys. Raymond

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?