any particular order?

Kate B 16:37 14 Nov 2004

I'm going round to a friend this evening to de-cr*p her computer. I'm taking Zone Alarm, AVG, Spybot, Spyware Blaster and Adaware with me to install and run: is there any particular order I should do this in or doesn't it matter? And any other suggestions of malware-blasters I could add to that list?

VoG II 16:40 14 Nov 2004

AVG, Ad-aware, Spybot first. Then put on ZA and Spywareblaster as preventive measures.

I would also recommend CWShredder click here and a² click here

Cook2 16:43 14 Nov 2004

Don't forget click here and click here

AVG and ZoneAlarm first and go online to get updates.

Check with Avast Cleaner and Atinger then Install, update and run the others.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:44 14 Nov 2004

click here will save you a lot of time.....

G

powerless 16:44 14 Nov 2004

What operating system?

Kate B 16:45 14 Nov 2004

Good suggestions, thanks VoG, you're a star

Kate B 16:49 14 Nov 2004

Powerless - think they've got XP home, but it could be 98. Gandalf - thanks for that link. I'm assembling quite an arsenal ... which I'll probably need. They've only got dialup but despite my urgings, they've never run any kind of AV 'ware, nor firewall, nor anything else.

Dorsai 17:09 14 Nov 2004

Once you have spring cleaned, all you have to do is to convince them of the importance of regularly using and updating the various tools. Best of luck.

bretsky 17:22 14 Nov 2004

Another good free program is winpatrol from click here it lets you know of any programs trying to start in your system tray such as malware apps and barks at you to let you know, works in the background and sits in the system tray.

bretsky ;0)

Kate B 17:25 14 Nov 2004

Thanks guys, that's all really helpful. I look forward to a long evening sorting out the machine ... fortunately they're cooking for us too...

Dan the Confused 17:44 14 Nov 2004

WinsockFix click here is useful if you lose the internet connection after removing all the malware.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?