Any need/reason to partition

FatboySlim71 20:08 06 Feb 2008

I am shortly going to be getting a new PC that will have a 500GB hard drive.

All the PC's I have had in the past, I have never had multiple partitions (I basically have just had one big drive/partition).

My PC will have Windows Vista Ultimate installed, and the discs are supplied as well. I am just wondering if it would be any advantage to partition my 500 GB hard drive into 2 partitions (I don't know what size of partitions I would use, help would be appreciated on this) the first partition would contain the operating system and the other would have my programs and any thing else. The thing that has occured to me is that, some programs (correct me if I am wrong) have been wrote in a way, where they will only install on C drive, so if my programs were to be installed on the second partition D for example, then I could imagine that I may have problems.

I can understand the reasoning behind having partitions, for example, if the partition that contains the operating system gets corrupted, then you can just re install the operating system to this partition and all the other data on the other partition will be untouched, but with me using Acronis True Image which I use to take regular backups, is it worth me partitioning my drive for this scenario when there is a chance that I could have problems with installing programs etc.

I can remember someone saying that with modern hard drives been a lot faster that they used to be, there is less reason now to partition, I don't know if this is true or not?

sunny staines 20:11 06 Feb 2008

i have my drive in partitions of 50gb
c- o/s
d- clone back up
e- downloaded programs saved & docs
f- music cds
h- temp stuff

David4637 20:16 06 Feb 2008

YES, with ACRONIS, restoring a corrupted OS takes me 10 minutes with XP, not 3 days in my case when I lost all the settings and icons etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. GO FOR PARTITION C: and D:. Thats what I did and use Acronis. David

Technotiger 20:18 06 Feb 2008

Personally, I don't believe in Partitions, I do however have two external hard-drives, one of which I keep for Acronis backups, the other mainly for games. Main OS and System files, including My Pictures/My Documents/My Music are on my internal drive C: .........

laurie53 20:25 06 Feb 2008

One for the o/s, one for programmes, one for data, one for backups/clones.

lisa02 20:29 06 Feb 2008

On my first system I had one HDD split in 2, C for OS and programs and D for files, music and photos.

Since then I've always went for 2 smaller drives rather than one big one. On the 2 separate drives I'd have kept things the same as above except I'd have placed the pagefile on the second HDD too.

Technotiger 20:45 06 Feb 2008

I don't see the point of having backups on the same drive as everything else, even if they are in separate partitions - what if the drive goes belly up?

VoG II 20:49 06 Feb 2008

Totally agree. I have 2 internal HDDs (neither partitioned) - one for everything, the other to hold Norton Ghost backups, copies of all drivers and so on.

Partitions are so twentieth century...

lisa02 20:50 06 Feb 2008

Technotiger it's for convenience, they should also be backing up to something else as well incase your scenario happened.

sunny staines 20:54 06 Feb 2008

i have my c drive on a small hdd, and all other partitions on a larger 2nd hdd for that reason, plus a dvd backup in case the 2nd drive went belly up.

FatboySlim71 22:12 06 Feb 2008

Thanks for all the responcies everybody, its much appreciated.

I should have added that I use Acronis to back up to an external hard drive, this external hard drive is solely used to store Acronis Images.

Erm, I'm undecided what to do, one one hand I think well, I have never had partitions before and touch wood have never had problems, and also with me backing up regularly with Acronis its a fairly speedy and easy process to get everything back if things go wrong.

Also, I am sure I read somewhere that certain programs won't install on anything but C drive? but I don't know how much truth is in this, the last thing I would like to do is get my drive partitioned and install program after program to find that later on I would come across a program that wouldn't install because the programs weren't on the C drive. On the other I'm thinking would my drive run smoother and faster if it were partitioned? or, are modern hard drives that much faster than they used to be and as such would not really see any performance improvement?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?