Any good!

pac73 20:15 07 Nov 2006

Can someone tell me if this is a decent spec pc.ASUS VENTO CASE COLOUR RED INSIDE THE CASE IS ASUS A7N8X.2.0 DELUXE M-BOARD WITH 1GIG OF TRIP 4 MEMORY ,GEFORCE FX 5600AGP 256MB RAM 2XHD 1=120GIG 2ND=40 WITH CADY CASES. PIONEER DVD-RW AND SAMSUNG DVD-ROM THE PROCESSOR IS A AMD BARTON CPU JUST ABOVE 2GHZ AND THIS CPU CAN DO MORE.INTERNET READY SYSTEM WITH WINDOWS XP HOME AND PRO PRE INSTALLED WITH OFFICE XP. COME COMPLET WITH YAMHA DTS SOUND SYSTEM. INTERNET READY KEYBOARD AND OPTICAL MOUSE . VERY FAST PC SYSTEM AND CAN BE UPGRADED IF NEEDED.((PLEASE NOTE THERE IS NO MONITOR WITH THIS PC UNIT, BUT YOU CAN SE IT WORKING))Cos i might be swapping my toshiba portege 3480ct,with 20 gb hd,cd rom,dvd rom,hp scanner and printer,and a gateway 2000 monitor.Plus a set of golf clubs.My laptops 5 years old so i think its a good deal.

GaT7 18:20 08 Nov 2006

You're swapping your Toshiba Portege 3480ct laptop + HP scanner + HP printer + Gateway 2000 monitor + set of golf clubs for the above system - is this correct?

Can you:

1. Tell us what you're going to use the PC for.

2. Provide a link to the system, or a better layout of the components in the post (e.g. click here).

Some of the reasons why no one has replied so far could be that your post is not very clear, & it's not everyday (or probably ever!) that anyone makes the kind of swap you intend doing. It's a tough one to call you know, & I wish you the very best. G

ed-0 18:34 08 Nov 2006

The only major upgrade you could do with that motherboard would be ram and graphics card. Though you aren't going to get much performance leap by adding more than the current 1Gb of ram.

If it's running a barton at 2.0Ghz or more, then that is a the top of it's limit. You could just increase this by overclocking, but the effort isn't worth the risk. You bang a barton and you';ll have a job getting a decent one. Most on the market have been wound up and suffer from stress.

it's probably a good system that will cope with most things thrown at it but

and there's always a but

You could struggle if your a gamer. All the newer systems are going over to PCI-E cards. Some of the newer or future games may not play.

Overall though, if you don't mind losing the portability, it is a decent speced system.

Totally-braindead 18:34 08 Nov 2006

Another thread about swapping click here Is this the same computer you're thinking about swapping for or another one. It does appear to be different but similar to the last one you posted about.
Same questions - windows preinstalled, is it original does it come with the original disks - graphics card is ok but old, I had this card perhaps 4 years ago - processor is ok but it depend what you want to do with it. At the moment it will "probably" play most games if thats what you're thinking about but there are some it will struggle with FEAR for example.

If I was selling the above system for cash I'd be hoping for about £200 but would likely settle for £150 as theres no monitor. Maybe even less.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?