Any free partition or data recovery software?

cdb 23:26 28 Mar 2007

I have a problem with a hard drive. I think the partition info has been corrupted or over written. It was a dual partitioned hard drive (approx 80/120 on a 200G drive NTFS)

Is there any free software I can try to see if it sorts my problem.

Failing that is there any (cheaper) software that will sort me out. I've just had a play with partition doctor and it can see my files on the first partition (the important ones) so I might buy that if I have to.

I did try the software on this months cover disc and it found some of the stuff off the 2nd partition but seems to be corrupting alot of it in the saving process.

Thanks for any help.

PS. I just had a play with R-Studio on the cover disk and that can see the 1st partition as well.

RobCharles1981 23:52 28 Mar 2007

Have a look at Testdisk its a Dos Based Program in which will get your drives back.

click here

beeuuem 01:21 29 Mar 2007

For file recovery try the free SoftPerfect™ File Recovery from click here at the bottom of the page.

It worked for me when nothing else would. Apart from recovering the lost files it also shows how may files that you happily thought you had deleted are sitting on you HDD and can be recovered.

jack 08:45 29 Mar 2007

Paragon hard disk manager
Free on a PC Avisor cover DVD- November 2006

Jonshon&Jonshon 09:49 12 Apr 2007

Have you tried Stellar Phoenix FAT & NTFS [url=click here]data recovery software[/url]. Although its not free but it works. It provides Partition recovery from FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, NTFS5 file systems.
Performs NTFS recovery on all IDE, EIDE and SCSI disk devices. And Support recovery of compressed files.
Download the demo from:click here

skidzy 14:14 12 Apr 2007
  iscanut 14:57 12 Apr 2007

This one might be worth a look at

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?