Any free Erase programs like DBAN, but leave OS ?

setecio 19:56 29 Jun 2007

I would use DBAN to wipe a drive of anything confidential. The problem is it erases everything including the OS.

Are there any free programs, like DBAN, that will erase everything on a hard drive, EXCEPT the OS (winXP) (and maybe programs but they aren't as essential) ?

MaxUpload 21:26 29 Jun 2007

Not knowing the configuration of your machine I can only advise from personal experience having had the same sort of problem once before.

If you have the time and the inclination I can only suggest that you format your hard drive - using DBAN if necessary and partition your drive into three partitions.

Use one partition for your OS , one for your personal stuff , and one for your other stuff.

This method separates the OS from other installed stuff and formatting in the future will only affect the partitions holding anything you need to get rid of.

setecio 07:37 30 Jun 2007

I would want to use it when helping other people dispose of their old computer. They generally want to give them to charity, and DBAN renders it useless.

I will buy Paragon disk wiper click here which allows me to securely wipe the free space. I assume that I can use it on different computers as I will be uninstalling it every time after use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?