Any Experts With Search & Destroy

Molly_Don 15:10 14 Sep 2008

Most times when I do a scan using S&D, it keeps finding programmes, I have no idea what they are, I just delete them, someone suggested in another thread I should post for advice, I've just completed a scan and it's found these:

Hitbox - 2 Entries Browser

Mediaplex - 1 Entry Browser

Statcounter - 1 Entry Browser

Tradedoubler - 1 Entry Browser.

The programme's still on my desktop as I've no idea what to do next, any advice please?

DieSse 15:13 14 Sep 2008

Delete them all - none of them are useful to you, and they're all trying to gather your details about you and/or your web habits., even if some of them are not specific to you personally.

DieSse 15:14 14 Sep 2008

You should also use the "immunise" feature of Spybot - and keep it updated and reimmunising after updates. That will help stop you getting some of them at all.

Molly_Don 15:18 14 Sep 2008

OK thanks, do I click "Fix problems 1st" then immunise, or just immunise right away?

Marko797 16:30 14 Sep 2008

choose 'fix problems'.

In general though, you should check for updates 1st.

Then u should 'immunize' so u have the latest protection. You should have a small graphic like a brick wall, and a number to the right which descends down to zero, from the number of unprotected items. When it's at zero, you have full protection. (If you don't 'immunize' then u are only scanning with the older definitions).

Then u shud scan, and then 'fix problems'

Molly_Don 17:36 14 Sep 2008

OK Mark,

so, just to clarift

> check for updates > Scan > fix problems > immunise.

You know those programmes above, will they keep appearing when I do a scan or are those sites now blocked?

Marko797 17:48 14 Sep 2008

that's not what I said at all. I thought I had been more than clear, but apparently not.

Once more:

1. Check for updates
2. Immunize
3. Scan
4. Fix

Molly_Don 18:03 14 Sep 2008

OK, got it now Mark, thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires