AntiVirus/AntiSpyware Conflicts

250diesel 09:11 03 May 2007

I already have Trend PC-cillin Internet Security 2007: Ad-Aware; SpyBot installed and have no problems.
As I am getting somewhat paranoid in my old age and do not wish to leave myself 'exposed' I am thinking of enlarging my belt,braces & string protection even further.
After reading a very good write-up in PC Advisor I have purchased SpySweeper.
QUESTIONS: 1)Is my thinking correct - can you have too much protection?
2)Does anybody know of any possible conflicts that might arise.
My firewall will be that provided by Trend.
Regards to all.

rawprawn 09:24 03 May 2007

You should have no problems as long as you don't try to run two AV's Having said that I think that you are already well covered and there really is no need for paranoia.

birdface 09:29 03 May 2007

I have tried Spy Sweeper and did not think it was very good,I agree with you One more would not do you any harm,I would have said Spyware Doctor,But have heard a few complaints about the latest version.If I was going to purchase one I would see what others recomend,Some of the free one's are as good if not better than Spy Sweeper.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:52 03 May 2007

The rules to prevent conflicts are:

1 firewall
1 antivirus
and as much antispyware as your paranoia requires
Although you are well covered already.

adding Spywareblaster click here to block sites is all I would do in your case.
This program takes up no extra resources and therefore will not slow up your PC as adding another antispyware scanner may do.

250diesel 08:56 04 May 2007

Thanks everybody. Your answers were really helpful & informative (as usual in this help room).
I already have PC Tools Privacy Guardian & Registry Mechanic installed and like them, so I think I will give their Spyware Doctor a go - as I have two of their programs installed they have offered me a $10 discount,which will off-set what I have spent on Spy Sweeper.
Have a good Bank Holiday.
Best Regards

iscanut 09:31 04 May 2007

I have been a fan and user of PC Tools Anti spyware, but the latest version caused so many problems that I have gone with Sunbelt which has been excellent. No problems and fast loading, regular updates etc..and has a free reial and full version costs just over £10 for the year of updates and support. Have a look here ..
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?